guardinner
Accepted Solution

Unable to send mail using Outlook when abroad!

After quite some time I have decided to comment on the inability to send e-mail through Outlook 2010 while abroad. I work overseas for 6 months of the year and am almost at the end of my tether because I have to use a browser to respond to e-mail, forward e-mail and filter e-mail instead of using my main mail program which is Outlook 2010.

I cannot for the life of me understand why BT have this restriction in place, if you have to authenticate prior to sending mail (to prove you are who you say you are) and BT can monitor their servers for spammers why can't they turn on the ability to send mail from abroad? For example, I received an offer of a contract today (pretty regular in my line of work) but in order to respond to the sender I now have to open a browser and mess about instead of simply pressing 'reply', I also cannot forward the mail to another address to offer the contract to a colleague.

I have been with BT for as long as I can remember and never really had much to complain about, in fact I would say that on balance the positives outweigh the negatives, but this is a real bone of contention for me and I am now finally considering a move away from BT because of it.

Guru
Andy_N

Re: Unable to send mail using Outlook when abroad!

guardinner wrote:

After quite some time I have decided to comment on the inability to send e-mail through Outlook 2010 while abroad. I work overseas for 6 months of the year and am almost at the end of my tether because I have to use a browser to respond to e-mail, forward e-mail and filter e-mail instead of using my main mail program which is Outlook 2010.

I cannot for the life of me understand why BT have this restriction in place, if you have to authenticate prior to sending mail (to prove you are who you say you are) and BT can monitor their servers for spammers why can't they turn on the ability to send mail from abroad? For example, I received an offer of a contract today (pretty regular in my line of work) but in order to respond to the sender I now have to open a browser and mess about instead of simply pressing 'reply', I also cannot forward the mail to another address to offer the contract to a colleague.

I have been with BT for as long as I can remember and never really had much to complain about, in fact I would say that on balance the positives outweigh the negatives, but this is a real bone of contention for me and I am now finally considering a move away from BT because of it.

Hi. Welcome to the forums.

I'm afraid that this is one of the problems that you would face with pretty much all ISPs, when using their smarthost mail servers (e.g. in this case mail.btinternet.com).

However, you may like to try the following. See my shortcuts option 0d/h, altering outgoing (smtp) server to smtp.mail.yahoo.co.uk - this certainly works in the UK for BTinternet users (note you need to enter your full email address in the settings).

I don't know if it works "abroad", but you may like to alter .co.uk to .com and try. You may also like to alter the port from 25 to 587

guardinner

Thanks very much Andy, changing my SMTP server to the smtp.mail.yahoo.co.uk one has done the trick. I do find it odd that BT tech. support couldn't suggest this when I asked them about it some time ago.

However, it HAS resolved it and for that I am very grateful.

guardinner

guardinner

I am back to square one and the problem is back - I have checked the settings and they remain the same but I am now no longer able to send e-mail using Outlook again!
Guru
Andy_N

guardinner wrote:
I am back to square one and the problem is back - I have checked the settings and they remain the same but I am now no longer able to send e-mail using Outlook again!

Hi again.

Are you getting any specific error messages ?

Aspiring Expert
syops

[ Edited ]

Could this be part of a current issue with Yahoo servers?

found this Yahoo mail problem form if its any use? http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo//mail/postmaster/defer.html

and for specific error messages http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/mail/postmaster/errors/;_ylt=Alo9q1logxGcXZ6GpkaBals7JHdG

Check your exchange or major service outages

If someone has given a helpful answer, please click on their Ratings star on the left-hand side. :smileyhappy: ***
stuartmeasures

I have had the same problem whilst working abroad.

I have resolved mine by restoring my smtp server name back to mail.btinternet.com and just changing the outgoing port from '25' to '587' as stated earlier in the forum.

Best of luck

Johnkw

tried the changing the ;25 to '587' thank you very much firts time tried this forum and glad i did johnkw