Beginner
LesHarg

Unable to send or receive messages for the Btinternet (xxx) account.

Hello

I use Windows Live Mail to download my emails. This is working fine on two computers for other BT Internet and Gmail accounts. But one of my main BT accounts consistently receives the following messages on both computers:

Server Error: 0x800CCC90

Server Response: -ERR inactivity timeout

Server: 'mail.btinternet.com'

Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800420CD

Protocol: POP3

Port: 110

Secure(SSL): No

Unable to send or receive messages for the Btinternet (xxx) account. Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems or a long period of inactivity.

Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC0F

The messages for this account are available via webmail, and sending an email works. 

I've tried BT Desktop Help, but this simply sends me in the direction of standard advice pages. I have no reason to think the settings are wrong. 

Could anyone suggest what is going on here please?

Sage
Keith_Beddoe

Re: Unable to send or receive messages for the Btinternet (xxx) account.

[ Edited ]

BT are in the process of migrating to different providers. which require a secure connection.

Try

POP3

Incoming server    mail.btinternet.com

Port    995

Security Type    SSL

Outgoing SMTP server    mail.btinternet.com

Security type    SSL

Port    465

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

Guru
Andy_N

LesHarg wrote:

Hello

I use Windows Live Mail to download my emails. This is working fine on two computers for other BT Internet and Gmail accounts. But one of my main BT accounts consistently receives the following messages on both computers:

Server Error: 0x800CCC90

Server Response: -ERR inactivity timeout

Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800420CD

Unable to send or receive messages for the Btinternet (xxx) account. Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems or a long period of inactivity.

Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC0F

The messages for this account are available via webmail, and sending an email works. 

I've tried BT Desktop Help, but this simply sends me in the direction of standard advice pages. I have no reason to think the settings are wrong. 

Could anyone suggest what is going on here please?

Hi. Welcome to the forums.

For starters, the recommendation by many people is to uninstall BT Desktop help.

If this has always been the case, rather than a sporadic issue, then it could be an account problem that seems to plague some accounts - and has done for years. Hopefully the changeover from Yahoo! to Critical Path will cure this particular issue. Try the other settings mentioned by Keith.

Even though some accounts are fine, there is still a possibility that your local security software can interfere. For example if you have email scanning turned on - then this can be turned off to see if that helps.

Beginner
LesHarg

Many thanks Keith. Unfortunately, I got the same error messages with these server settings. 

Anyway, I'll certainly take a look at our pages.

Les

Beginner
LesHarg

Thanks Andy. I disabled MS Security Essentials while checking for email but it made no difference.

Indeed, the email account has been problematic for quite a while. It belongs to my wife and she's suffered these 'outages' periodically for some years. It just seems much worse this time. 

Re. BT Desktop Help: I used it some time ago on yet another computer and it actively sought out and corrected email settings. Now it does nothing so potentially useful, it seems (even after asking for your email details and then asking you to wait.)

Les

Distinguished Guru
gg30340

You could try using the Yahoo settings for your email. It might work as a temporary fix. See this link for them.

http://help.yahoo.com/kb/index?page=content&y=PROD_MAIL_CLASSIC&locale=en_SG&id=SLN3213

With regards to BTDesktop Help my advice and that of many on this forum is to uninstall it. It is a piece of software junk and can cause more problems than it solves. It is not needed to connect to the Internet or for anything else on your computer.

"If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer, click the white star"
Aspiring Contributor
TheLurker

My neighbour had a bug in his BT Yahoo email that seemed to be caused by an email with some large files attached to it.  Although in principle the email was not too large, in actuality he got the same timeout error you report.  The solution was to login to BT's webmail and delete or move the offending email with the large file attachment.  After that, everything worked normally again.

Beginner
LesHarg

Thanks gg30340: I think I've already got these settings. Are you suggesting somethng different from the norm?

Beginner
LesHarg

Thanks, TheLurker. I'd read something similar elsewhere and looked for such a file, but could not see anything. Will look again, but presumably this will be sitting at the head of the 'not downloade' pile. 

Distinguished Guru
gg30340

Yes, according the the settings you posted you are presently using servers mail.btinternet.com I am suggesting to try using yahoo's servers as per those shown in the link I posted. If it does work it will only be a temporary fix until the email migration is completed.

"If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer, click the white star"