Contributor
nigelangel1
Accepted Solution

Using and external hard drive with Home Hub 3

I have the home hub 3, and have fitted my external hard drive to the USB port. Before I did this I formatted the drive to FAT32, and it does show up as an external drive in the Home Hub list of connected items.  My only problem is, none of the my connected computers can neither see the drive or access it. 

I'd like to hear from anyone who's managed to get an external hard drive working while connected to the Home Hub 3, and if that's you, please, please tell me how you did it!!! The drive is definitely formatted to FAT32.

Distinguished Expert
pippincp

Re: Using and external hard drive with Home Hub 3

You will need to map the drive. See here for instructions

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cabinet comissioning process.

Get your IP Profile by running this speedtest (then Further Diagnostics) .

[url=http://valid.canardpc.com/2640296][img]htt//valid.canardpc.com/cache/banner/2640296.png[/img][/url]

Get your IP Profile by running this speedtest (then Further Diagnostics) speedtest.

[url=http://valid.canardpc.com/2640296][img]http://valid.canardpc.com/cache/banner/2640296.png[/img][/url]
Contributor
nigelangel1

Thank you so much,  I've been trying to do this since I changed over to BT Infinity!  I've done exactly as suggested in the link, and it works great. 

All this time, I simply needed to ask how to do it via the forum! :smileyvery-happy:

andystones

Can you do this on a mac? (osx 10.7 Lion)

Contributor
vipermo

andystones  did you find out mate hope to get this working on mac?

Beginner
amacfx

Any luck getting this hooked up so that Macs can use a networked drive.

I've formatted a drive as FAT and it will mount ok (I can see it on my different Macs - all running 10.7) but can't actually connect to any of them - always getting the following error message :

The operation can’t be completed because the original item for “USB_Disk” can’t be found.

If you found a working solution I'd really appreciate you posting here.

Cheers.

asl1956

I have managed to connect to an external HDD plugged into the HH3 via the USB connector.  

1. On the MAC go ingto Finder and select "GO" from the menu.

2. In server address type smb//bthomehub

3. Click "Connect"

You will then connect to the HH3 and should see USB1 listed as a folder.  If you click this you will be connected to the drive.

You can automate connecting by selecting "+" in the Connect to Server dialogue box.  You then need to go to users in System Preferences to connect automatically on log in.

You'll find the process here http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4011

asl1956

I have managed to connect to an external HDD plugged into the HH3 via the USB connector.  

1. On the MAC go ingto Finder and select "GO" from the menu.

2. In server address type smb://bthomehub

3. Click "Connect"

You will then connect to the HH3 and should see USB1 listed as a folder.  If you click this you will be connected to the drive.

You can automate connecting by selecting "+" in the Connect to Server dialogue box.  You then need to go to users in System Preferences to connect automatically on log in.

You'll find the process here http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4011

Aspiring Expert
dcullum

This works fine for me too!

If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
onizuka1957

[ Edited ]

Hi, sorry to bother you but you seem as though you may be able to help.  I have plugged in devices into the USB port on my Home Hub 3, it reports no devices connected.  I have raised a complaint with BT only to be told that they do not support the port.  Despite help pages state otherwise, raising a complaint they contacted me today to say the same.  So there own help page and instructions are a lie.  The did finish by saying that I can pay to have it enabled I have to pay, weird seeing the only router (hub) I can use is the one supplied by BT.  Why is it you and others have yours enabled yet mine is not, unless I pay for it.