gxa747

Where's my lovely shredder software gone?

Hi

We recently had a problem and BT sent us a nice new shiny black router. Ok so far. But I notice that the McAfee software now looks different. In the old software, hidden away under Tools there was a great little utility that shredded files by overwriting them up to 10 times with random character sequences. This was great for making sure that any files with financial data on them were completely destroyed and could never be recovered by some scalliwag.

But in the new version of McAfee, I can't find it! Was I the only person who stumbled upon this Really Useful Thing? Am I the only person to miss this? Or... maybe... it was just a dream... :smileysurprised:

Geoff

Beginner
stevesevern

Re: Where's my lovely shredder software gone?

Hi Geoff. Don't know if this will help. I have a yearly subscription of McAfee, so not sure your software with hub will be the same. Mine changed recently as well. Its now a more compact box in middle of screen for security centre. It is titled McAfee  Anti Virus Plus and under that is green band with "Your computer is secure". At bottom are 5 tabs, the middle one being "Data Protection". If you click on the downward arrow on the right of this tab, it opens with Shredder link in blue. Click on that and another box opens with Shredder there. The settings can be changed top right of the Shredder box where there is a strange three dot and three line affair.

Thinking back though, when this new design appeared, I vaguely remember having to request the Quick clean add on, but can't remember about Shredder. It may have been that I clicked on data protect tab and it gave me the option to download or maybe I searched around on the tabs on the top right of my security centre. They are home, navigation, subscription and help and found the option to download shredder and quick clean.

I was surprised at the time that I had the option to download, as I presumed it would all be available as in the old security centre.

Another thought is, but this is only a guess, maybe you don't get the shredder free with the hub software, but having never dealt with McAfee as part of hub package, I can't really be sure. Its only a thought.

Hope this helps and doesn't confuse things for you.  

Beginner
Marpolicy

Hi

I've just  been "upgraded" to a new version of McAfee as part of BT NetProtect plus and have also completely lost the very useful shredder facility. Did you have any luck getting it back as I can't see any way to do so as part of BT NetProtect plus?

Cheers

Andrew

gxa747

Return of the Shredder!

Emerging from the unreal dimensions of the InterWebby thing... Shredder has returned. I think it must have reappeared when I had to get a new BT router and the new software that came with that. And this time is was the McAfee version as you described it Steve. Cheers.

So all's well with the world. If only I could now get some decent speed out of this broadband. But that's another topic, I guess...

Geoff