Treacle

Who in BT do I report this scam email to?

I received this email - obviously a scam - and would like to let BT know about it. I have searched the BT site but cannot find any details of who to send it to... surely BT doesn't believe itself above being used by scammers and presumably it would like to work to get any scam site disabled, so wouldn't it be wise to offer an address where phishing emails could be sent??

Dear Staff/Subcribers,

TERMINATION OF YOUR BTINTERNET WEBMAIL
ACCOUNT

We are currently carrying out an upgrade on
our system due to the fact that it has come
to our notice that one or more of our
subscribers are introducing a very strong
virus into our system and it is affecting
our network.We are trying to find out the
specific person.

For this reason all subscribers are to
provide their USER NAME AND PASSWORD
for us to verify and have them cleared
against this virus.

Failure to comply will lead to the
termination of your Account in the next
48 hours.

Information to send;
EMAIL ADDRESS:
USERNAME:
PASSWORD:

Hoping to serve you better.

Sincerely,

BTINTERNET mail Support

This is an Administrative Message from
BTINTERNET Mail Server. It is not
spam. From time to time, BTINTERNET mail
server will send you such messages
in order to communicate important
information about your subscription.

Guru
Andy_N

Re: Who in BT do I report this scam email to?

Treacle wrote:

I received this email - obviously a scam - and would like to let BT know about it. I have searched the BT site but cannot find any details of who to send it to... surely BT doesn't believe itself above being used by scammers and presumably it would like to work to get any scam site disabled, so wouldn't it be wise to offer an address where phishing emails could be sent??

Dear Staff/Subcribers,

<..>

Hi Treacle.

To be honest, these phishing scams occur all the time, and are usually sent by criminals in Nigeria (aka 419 scam). You could forward the email to the abuse mailbox at btbroadband.com. But really the way to do it is to look at the actual mail headers and the underlying html text (not just the text you see on screen) to see which site the scammer has hacked. Usually hovering over the link will show the actual website. If there is no site, then either they have used an email dropbox which the ISP owning it should be informed, or they have messed up.

There is very little that BT (or indeed other receiving ISP) can do about these sorts of emails, possibly with the exception of informing the scam site owners (if hacked). If you don't mind me saying, you've made a comment that was a little harsh. There are millions of phish emails sent daily to all ISPs and about all sorts of companies. None of them believe they are "above being used by scammers".

For the email headers, this usually contains information of the actual source of the original email (the IP address of the sending machine - which could be actually controlled by the criminal).

If you're unsure about getting the actual email headers, pop back with your email client (e.g. Thunderbird, Windows Mail or webmail). You can always post the headers, but remove any personal info such as names/email addresses.

The simple answer is to just delete the email and get on with real stuff!

Treacle

If you don't mind me saying, you've made a comment that was a little harsh

Hi Andy and thanks for the reply - but no, not harsh just an observation - I know about the headers and about hovering to find the hijacked site etc, but I just think there needs to be somewhere within BT to send these emails, because it is (some) BT customers who would fall prey to this type of email.

The banks all have a dedicated email addy to send to and seem to take the problem very  seriously - and I am in no way suggesting that BT doesn't take it seriously but the appearance is that they don't because they aren't offering any visible help or advice (or, obviously, I wouldn't have posted this).

Anyway, thanks for the response.

Treaks

Guru
Andy_N

Treacle wrote:

If you don't mind me saying, you've made a comment that was a little harsh

Hi Andy and thanks for the reply - but no, not harsh just an observation - I know about the headers and about hovering to find the hijacked site etc, but I just think there needs to be somewhere within BT to send these emails, because it is (some) BT customers who would fall prey to this type of email.

The banks all have a dedicated email addy to send to and seem to take the problem very  seriously - and I am in no way suggesting that BT doesn't take it seriously but the appearance is that they don't because they aren't offering any visible help or advice (or, obviously, I wouldn't have posted this).

Anyway, thanks for the response.

Treaks

There is this link though :-

http://bt.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/bt.cfg/php/enduser/cci/bt_adp.php?p_sid=Q32Iettj&cat_lvl1=761&cat_lvl...

or

http://preview.tinyurl.com/bt-phishing

LittleGreyCat

The links given (and the ones found via Google) are for reporting emails via the web mail interface.

A lot of people pick up their email using Windows Mail or similar and so need a real email address so they can forward scam emails.

So far I have not found one.

Perhaps there is an 'abuse@bt.com' or 'phishing@bt.com' or similar but it would be good to know where to send problem emails.

Guru
Andy_N

LittleGreyCat wrote:

The links given (and the ones found via Google) are for reporting emails via the web mail interface.

A lot of people pick up their email using Windows Mail or similar and so need a real email address so they can forward scam emails.

So far I have not found one.

Perhaps there is an 'abuse@bt.com' or 'phishing@bt.com' or similar but it would be good to know where to send problem emails.

Hi LittleGreyCat.

Have a read throigh my initial reply, that gives the details

LittleGreyCat

[ Edited ]

It has come to our attention that your BT Billing Information records are out of date.To ensure that your service is not interrupted, please update your billing information today by clicking here

Yours faithfully,
Nigel Stagg
Managing Director, Customer Service

***Obviously, don't click on the link!!

This does not seem appropriate to btbroadband - this is the address I assume you were referring to in your original post.

This is phishing targetted against customers of corporate BT.

So is there an address for BT corporate as opposed to the Internet arm?

Unless you are saying that BT Broadband manages the corporate site?

Guru
Andy_N

LittleGreyCat wrote:

It has come to our attention that your BT Billing Information records are out of date.To ensure that your service is not interrupted, please update your billing information today by clicking here

Yours faithfully,
Nigel Stagg
Managing Director, Customer Service

***Obviously, don't click on the link!!

This does not seem appropriate to btbroadband - this is the address I assume you were referring to in your original post.

This is phishing targetted against customers of corporate BT.

So is there an address for BT corporate as opposed to the Internet arm?

Unless you are saying that BT Broadband manages the corporate site?

As I mentioned on my initial post, the email headers need to be looked at and if you can read them determine from which ISP/host it was sent from (I can read them ....) - it is them the report should usually be sent. Of course, this is not straightforward - nor is determining the host of the phish site.

However there is an abuse email address at BT, and that is the fairly straightforward abuse [at] bt [dot] com

Contributor
empress48

just want to make everyone aware there's a new one doing the rounds. from Nigeria (where else) :smileymad:

i have reported to BT already

Account Verification

This is for your own safety to avoid the closure of your BT Yahoo! mail. You will have to verify your account by filling out your  Log-in information below by clicking the reply button. We apologize for any inconvenience that this request may cause.

User ID: 
Current Password: 
Date of Birth: 
Country of Residence: 

After receiving the information requested you will be able to continue using your BT Yahoo! mail without hitches. Please do bear in mind that we reserve the right to close this BT account if this request isn't granted on time.

Thank you.
BT Yahoo! Customer Care.

Case number: 8941624
Property: Account Security

Guru
toekneem

[ Edited ]

Deleted by me
toekneem
http://www.no2nuisancecalls.net

(EASBF)