Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Beginner

WiFi Disconnecting and Reconnecting on phone

Recently my Wi-Fi signal keeps dropping and reconnecting on my phone.

I downloaded a WiFi interference App to see whats going on, and changed channel on the hub to one thats empty and the connections on my channel seem to follow me to the new channel. Goes up to 16 sometimes!! Now its gone down to 8 and listed as Poor on the app, but like i say i change to one of the Best empty channels and they connections on that channel follow me.

Do you think this is to do with the Free Wi-Fi BT Opt in thing I am in? Im thinking about disabling it so noone shares my connection.

My desktop PCs are on the ethernet cable connection and work fine, only my phone uses the Wi-Fi, and my Wii when I use it which isnt often.

Also changed from WEP to WPA see if that helps.

Networks on channel now gone up to 10!

Any ideas?

I cannot do anything on my phone to do with the internet as keeps disconnecting, then few secs later reconnects.

Only been happening the last few days.

Shirl

Distinguished Sage

Re: WiFi Disconnecting and Reconnecting on phone

First thing is to disable "smart wireless" on the BT home hub, and select a manual channel number.

If that does not fix it, then there is some more help here.

Wireless problems and things you can try, to resolve them

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

Beginner

Hi

As I said I changed manually the channel numbers to clear ones a few times, but the connections whoever they are follow me to the new channels.

My Hub is BTHomeHub version 1.5.

The link you said does not work at the moment.

I have no other Wi-Fi things using the hub my PC uses the Ethernet and that works fine, and I have no wireless keyboards etc. Just my phone uses the Wi-Fi (Galaxy Ace), and Wii but I havent uses that in months. Its only been disconnecting and reconnecting the past few days before that I could look at the internet, look at you-tube on the phone no problems. I just turned off the BT WiFi Opt-in thing on the website see if that helps.

If it doesnt solve it you think the Hub is faulty as it is old now?

Shirl

Distinguished Guru

[ Edited ]

LadyQuake wrote:

Recently my Wi-Fi signal keeps dropping and reconnecting on my phone.

I downloaded a WiFi interference App to see whats going on, and changed channel on the hub to one thats empty and the connections on my channel seem to follow me to the new channel. Goes up to 16 sometimes!! Now its gone down to 8 and listed as Poor on the app, but like i say i change to one of the Best empty channels and they connections on that channel follow me.

Do you think this is to do with the Free Wi-Fi BT Opt in thing I am in? Im thinking about disabling it so noone shares my connection.

My desktop PCs are on the ethernet cable connection and work fine, only my phone uses the Wi-Fi, and my Wii when I use it which isnt often.

Also changed from WEP to WPA see if that helps.

Networks on channel now gone up to 10!

Any ideas?

I cannot do anything on my phone to do with the internet as keeps disconnecting, then few secs later reconnects.

Only been happening the last few days.

Shirl

Hi Shirl

The other connections that follow you are the free BTWifi one's.

You can opt out to remove these, but if you use them when out and about at other locations, you'll also lose the use of them.

edit. Didn't catch your reply above:smileysad:. Also, you could try unticking the open networks notification, as your phone will always retain the BTWifi SSID's - you can remove them by clicking 'forget network' on your phone.

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
Beginner

ok thanks I will try that. If it makes no difference I can always opt in that BT thing again.

Beginner

seems to work now, opting out the free BT Wi-Fi thing must have worked.

I noticed to when I had it on it kept switching from my homehub to the free WiFi spot even thou I put prioritise my homehub connection.  Also switched from WEP to WPA.

shirl

Distinguished Guru

That's good to hear Shirl

(WPA is more secure than WEP too:smileywink:)

-+-No longer a forum member-+-