Beginner
Daniel_son

Windows 8 wifi?

Hi all, this is first post so forgive me if I'm a bit hard to understand.

i had infinity installed yesterday but can not connect my windows 8 laptop to the Internet through wifi. It says I am connected to the hub and it is also sayin there is an Internet connection but I just can not access any websites. I never had any problems with our old sky router and our iPhones connect fine.

the laptop also works perfectly through Ethernet cable?

Sage
Keith_Beddoe

Re: Windows 8 wifi?

Are you connected to your own network, did you enter the wireless key correctly when it asked for it?

Is your laptop a new one, or was it upgraded to Windows 8?

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

Beginner
Daniel_son

It's our home network yes and it's a windows 7 laptop upgraded. It's connected to the hub and it's saying Internet connection??
Sage
Keith_Beddoe

Daniel_son wrote:
It's our home network yes and it's a windows 7 laptop upgraded. It's connected to the hub and it's saying Internet connection??

You may need to upgrade your Wireless card drivers to handle WPA2, that the new hub uses.

There are more hints here.

Wireless problems and things you can try, to resolve them

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

Distinguished Guru
DS

Just for information - I know that Intel advise that you uninstall wireless drivers/applications before upgrading a W7 machine to W8, others may also recommend this.

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
Beginner
Daniel_son

I see, I had no idea. I will have a go when I get in and update. I'm sure I tried to update the driver last night and it told me it was up to date. I can't look at link at work so ill just have to wait
Beginner
Daniel_son

right just got home, uninstalled the wireless card, restarted and everything seems to be working fine.

thanks very much for your help

Sage
Keith_Beddoe

Daniel_son wrote:

right just got home, uninstalled the wireless card, restarted and everything seems to be working fine.

thanks very much for your help

Its a common problem stemming back as far as Windows Vista, and has been the answer to many wifi problem on this forum.

Distinguished Guru
DS

That's good to hear:smileyhappy:

-+-No longer a forum member-+-