Aspiring Contributor
Diver9
Accepted Solution

Wireless Printers No Longer Connect after BT Infinity Home Hub Installed

Hi all,

I have a very strange issue - a friend of mine has 3 wireless printers installed at home and used to have a BT home Hub 2.0.  They all connected wirelessly without issue and he could print from any computer in the house with the software on.

Last week he had BT infinity fitted and a new home hub supplied.....he then found he could not connect to his printers and asked me to take a look......I firstly uninstalled all his printer software and went through the installation process again.  While all 3 printers are wireless, 2 connect independantly (via printer console) and one needs to be connected to the computer to undertake wireless conection and set up.

I installed the 2 printers that could connect wirelessly withouth needing to connect to the PC - I checked the home hub settings and both printers can be seen as connected.  I then installed the software to the computer and when they were trying to "find printer" on the "connect wirelessly" page - it kept saying that it could not find the printer or it could not connect to the printer.

I thought it may be the computer with the issue so I tried on 2 other computers including my own windows 7 laptop, but while I could see the printer as connected while on the home hub page, I was unable to access the printer when setting up.

I spent 30 minutes with a technical guy who admitted he did not know the settings for the router and told me to try and switch off the firewall on the router! - I did, it did not work so I swtiched it back on!

I suspect it is a simple setting issue although seeing the issues online I now have my doubts and wondered if anyone here had an idea before he has to pay for help -

Thanks in advance

Sage
imjolly

Re: Wireless Printers No Longer Connect after BT Infinity Home Hub Installed

welcome to the forum

you can try downloading inssider2 (istumbler if MAC) and then run it. This will show the broadcasting networks round about you and their channels including your own. If you then enter your router and change your wireless channel to a free or less congested channel.

also try changing the wireless from default b/g/n to just b/g as the printers are probably only g rated

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Aspiring Contributor
Diver9

Thanks for the suggestions - I have tried inSSIDer and all appears ok although I think there may be another home Hub3 in the vicinity.

Also, just to reiterate, the printers can connect wirelessly to the router and can be seen as connected both on the printer consloe and the home hub home page, it is that none of the computers can connect to them as if the router is blocking the cross connection???

Diver9

Expert
tommybobbins

When you print out the Wireless/Network configuration page, it should list the IP address that the printer has been allocated and whether or not it has a DHCP address. As a starting point, I would hope that each printer has been given a DHCP address.

The same information can be gained by looking at the homehub 192.168.1.254->A-Z in the top right->Home Network. Click on each device in turn and check it agrees with the Network configuration information in the printouts.

I would then attempt to ping the IP address of each printer. My thinking is that there might be a problem with DHCP addresses clashing after a firmware update as reported elsewhere in the forums. A full factory reset of the Homehub can fix these problems.

Hope this helps, or at least can progress the troubleshooting!

Aspiring Contributor
Diver9

Thank you for that suggestion I will check this later - can anyone let me know when the firmware update came out as it may tie in with when his printers stopped connecting.

If there is a problem with the DHCP address what is the best way fo correcting this?? - Is the reset the only way??

If I do a full factory reset, is there any settings I need to save/check or is the home hub 3 like the sky hub??

Many thanks

Diver

Expert
tommybobbins

Hello,

There is supposedly a workaround of deleting out each device in turn from the Home Network. I can't vouch for it personally. The firmware update started rolling out onwards from mid April-2011, but it can of course get rolled out anytime that a Homehub is upgraded automatically. It might then cause you issues.

If I were you I would do a full factory reset, the BTHomeHub is a black box (boomboom!) which just works following a reset - as you say, same as a Sky Box. You could backup the settings if required, but restoring those settings might restore the problem! Worth checking whether the printers work following a factory reset first.

http://192.168.1.254 -> A-Z in the top right, Backup Settings.

Hope this helps

Aspiring Contributor
Diver9

Just to let everyone know - I managed to get the printers connected.......they would not connect "via their own software" so I installed the software and I then had to set them up under their IP address....all was well when one stopped working later that evening.

I then reset the router and it started again........hence my view that the router firmware is the problem.....BEWARE!!!!!!!

Oh, and I had the same problem with someone elses wireless printer set up today.....guess what...they went to BT infinity yesterday!!!!!

Now, I was in 2 minds about getting infinity....not now!

Diver9

Contributor
DrWilliams

[ Edited ]

I wouldn't jump to that conclusion (firmware issue).  What might be happening is that when you reset the HH3, it is flushing its DHCP cache, and when the printers reconnect, they are getting different IP addresses.  Then it is by no means certain that your PC's will connect to them.

Do your printers have static IP addresses?  If not, it's a good idea to assign them addresses that do not change.  Alternatively, you can check the box in the HH3 admin screens to "Always use this address" on each of those printers within the Network screens.

Aspiring Contributor
Diver9

I have checked and they do have static IP addresses so I am afraid the only possibility (having tried 4 printers and 6 computers on 2 different home hubs and all having the same problem) is the router - BT seem unable to help - without first wanting to charge for the technical help even though it appears that on 2 occassions with 2 seperate customers, the router is at fault.

Thanks for the suggestions though.

Diver9

Expert
tommybobbins

Hello,

Diver9, do you have any more information on the actual problem.

When you are unable to print:

1: Can you ping the static IP addresses?

2: What do the printers network status pages state?

3: What channel has the Homehub selected? Have you tried fixing the channel to an unused channel (as found by inssider?)

4: Does the homehub still think the printers are connected? (http://192.168.1.254->Home Network-><Device>)

I know it is a hassle troubleshooting, but it's sensible to find out what has actually gone wrong. Your experience may help someone in the future or give BT something to look at improving in the next firmware. For example, listing the model of each printer in this post might help. The more information the better.

I have used a network printer with v1, v1.5, v2a and v3 of the homehub family and haven't experienced any printing problems. I appreciate that I might just be lucky, but your information might help someone.