Beginner
bobbychariot

Wireless bridge to BT Home Hub 3

I will shortly be switching to BT Infinity with Home Hub 3. My existing wireless broadban router is not connected to my BT master socket but to an extension socket in my study. It has worked fine for years despite this and I have had no problems. I have three wired connections into my existing wireless hub from my desktop PC, network drive and network printer.

However when BT Infinity is installed I am told it will be installed at the master socket location which is at the other side of the house. I need a way to keep my PC and the network printer and drive joined into a network hub which can be connected as a wireless bridge to the BT Home Hub. I'd like it to be 802.11n compatible.

Any ideas to what I could get get without spending a fortune? Can I just buy a normal n wireless router or do I need to check the specs for compatibility with BT Home Hub?

Sage
Keith_Beddoe

Re: Wireless bridge to BT Home Hub 3

[ Edited ]

If you are going to buy a wireless router, then you do not need to use the home hub 3 at at all.

Infinity uses a separate modem and router, and your master socket can be moved for free, as part of the Infinity installation.

So your modem and home hub 3 can be located wherever it suits you, even in your study. The home hub 3 simply acts as a wireless router, so you should not need to use anything else.

Just remember to tell the installation technician, where you want it located.

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

Beginner
bobbychariot

That sounds ideal.

Do I tell the installation technician on the day or will I need to tell BT in advance?

Sage
Keith_Beddoe

Tell them on the day where you want it, as long as you have an extra mains socket for the Openreach modem.

Its Openreach that do the work, so telling BT will be a waste of time.

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.