Beginner
thinkuk

Wireless connection 'local' only - problem solved

I had problems making a wireless connection to my new BT Homehub3. Ethernet connection fine. Wireless stopped at 'local' connection and no internet access. I read many forums, spent over an hour with BT's helpline in India (extremely competent) but to no avail. The BT guy took over my laptop and tried everything imaginable but no success. The consensus on the forums was that there appears to be a compatability issue between Windows Vista and some hubs (not specifically BT).

I found the solution in an obscure Windows Update - an optional one from 2010 that I hadn't noticed. This had the name of my wireless card (Atheros) in the title which I wouldn't have recognised until this BT Hub problem arose. Downloaded the specific wireless card update and I'm now using the wireless connection to send this post.

Might be worth checking for your own wireless cards just in case. Hopefully BT engineers might find this info useful.

Aspiring Contributor
sizeuk

Re: Wireless connection 'local' only - problem solved

am having the exact same problem with the exact same windows and card.. could you point me in the direction of the update?

Sage
Keith_Beddoe

Re: Wireless connection 'local' only - problem solved

sizeuk wrote:

am having the exact same problem with the exact same windows and card.. could you point me in the direction of the update?

The original poster has not returned to the forum since December, however if you connect your computer using an Ethernet cable, then go to the Windows update page and ask it to look for updates, there should be an "optional updates" section, remember to download all the critical ones first.

Look at "hardware updates" and see if it shows the update for your wireless card.

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.