doh
Beginner
doh
Accepted Solution

Wireless signal strength

I'm new to this forum so please go easy.  I've had a quick look round but not yet found a solution to my issue.  If it exists elsewhere, please direct me.

Just switched to Infinity. Engineer insisted new modem be installed and existing BT Home Hub 3 be moved upstairs.  The one desktop PC upstairs, now attached to the router via LAN cable has a very fast connection (38Mb/s), but since the move I've had a massive reduction in signal strength on my wifi to all devices downstairs, which is main usage area.  Windows displays 1 bar out of 5 and inSIDDer shows -75db/m.  My TV won't connect to iPlayer any more and all laptop browsing is slow.  Not the result I wanted from switching to Infinity.

I've switched wifi channels on the router but that hasn't helped at all.  I bought a TP-Link wifi booster, that arrived this morning, but so far can't get it to connect to the router.  TP-Link tech support says the problem is with security info, but all other wifi devices connect perfectly with same security info.  The booster will connect and boost my BTFON, but that's not much use.  Also, I'm not sure if the use of a booster is the right solution anyway.  Does the booster half the speed in order to repeat the signal?

Maybe I have to wire my house up with LAN cables and access points, but that seems rather primitive.  The house is a very standard 3-bed house. No thick walls or reinforced concrete floors.

Any ideas please?  I'm getting desperate and my family is cursing me for switching from our old, working 2Mbs connection to the new, pretty unusable 38Mbs Infinity connection.  Why is wifi setup so difficult? (for me!)

Sage
Keith_Beddoe

Re: Wireless signal strength

TP-Link info here Wireless boosting

Also see Network connections

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

doh
Beginner
doh

Thanks very much Keith. I'll peruse that information and retry.
Sage
Keith_Beddoe

doh wrote:
Thanks very much Keith. I'll peruse that information and retry.

If you need any help, please let me know.

There is an additional forum thread here

http://community.bt.com/t5/BB-Speed-Connection-Issues/Extending-Wireless-Range-of-Home-Hubs-Informat...

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

doh
Beginner
doh

OK. My present problem lies with communication between my HH3 and my TP Link TL-WA830RE 300Mbps Wireless N Range Extender.  The TP-Link won't connect to the secured network, apparently due to incorrect security information.  I've spent a long time fiddling but I'm now ready to give up.  Every other wifi device sets up fine with my password.  Admittedly, I must be doing something wrong because others have apparently used this device well with a HH3.  But I can't make progress if I can't get the two to communicate.

So, Keith, maybe I'll return the TL-WA830RE to Amazon and exchange it for "your" TL-WA701ND and a pair of powerline adapters.  Then if I get stuck with that setup, I can beg help from you again! :smileyhappy:

I must say, I find it "interesting" that BT advertise their HH3 as having an excellent wireless range, but I can't get a signal from it 10 metres away through a wooden floor.  Maybe my lounge is inside an invisible Faraday cage?

doh
Beginner
doh

[ Edited ]

Though....will the powerline adapters work from 1st floor to ground floor if the two floors are on separate mains circuits?  i.e. do they get through MCBs on the fusebox?

Sage
Keith_Beddoe

doh wrote:

Though....will the powerline adapters work from 1st floor to ground floor if the two floors are on separate mains circuits?  i.e. do they get through MCBs on the fusebox?

Yes they will, people have even used them to connect to outbuildings.

The TP-Link powerline adapters that I suggest, are very popular on this forum.

I have a feeling that the TL-WA830RE 300Mbps Wireless N Range Extender will work with my default config files, as I am sure that someone on this forum has tried.

I will have a search and report back, as it may solve your problem.

Sage
Keith_Beddoe

[ Edited ]

This is the thread

http://community.bt.com/t5/BB-Speed-Connection-Issues/Broadband-wireless-range-issues/td-p/414711/hi...

But the person gave up with the device, as he used powerline adapters instead.

Its worth reading the thread.

Sage
Keith_Beddoe

[ Edited ]

Taking a look at the manual, I think it should work with my config files.

If you follow my instructions here http://www.btinternet.com/~cbeddoe/wa701nd/wa701nd.html

And save this file http://www.btinternet.com/%7Ecbeddoe/wa701nd/repeater/unirepeater.bin

to a memory stick.

Then load that into the TL-WA830RE as described, it should accept it.

Then all you need to do is to scan for your HH, and set the wireless key.

The thing is very similar to the WA701ND.

Please give it a try.

edit:see my comments in later posting.

doh
Beginner
doh

[ Edited ]

Thanks Keith. I'll give it a go tonight and report back.

Though there's still the possibly insurmountable problem of it not accepting my wireless key.