Aspiring Contributor
googoogajoob

btinternet.com / btopenworld.com email problems

Hi, I've been with BT internet for over 10 years and I have a btinternet.com address. I've used it forever, loads of my internet shopping accounts etc are set up with that address, 'internet' seems more 'classy' and understandable than the word 'openworld' and it's the address that I have given friends and family.

However, now the web client sends all my mail as btopenworld.com and I can't send as btinternet.com. It's been causing problems, not least that I can't unsubscribe or authenticate from newsletters and other subscriptions and authentications that require an email sent from the email address that it was signed up from.

How do I go back to sending from btinternet.com?

Thanks

Guru
Andy_N

Re: btinternet.com / btopenworld.com email problems

googoogajoob wrote:

Hi, I've been with BT internet for over 10 years and I have a btinternet.com address. I've used it forever, loads of my internet shopping accounts etc are set up with that address, 'internet' seems more 'classy' and understandable than the word 'openworld' and it's the address that I have given friends and family.

However, now the web client sends all my mail as btopenworld.com and I can't send as btinternet.com. It's been causing problems, not least that I can't unsubscribe or authenticate from newsletters and other subscriptions and authentications that require an email sent from the email address that it was signed up from.

How do I go back to sending from btinternet.com?

Thanks

Hi.

There are a couple of things you can do. You can either use a dedicated email client program such as Outlook Express, Windows Mail, Thunderbird or lots of others and use the btinternet.com version in the account setting - or you can actually add the btinternet.com email address to the webmail interface.

What you need to do is follow a thing called email address verification - see my shortcuts option 0e.

You can follow the instructions (sorry that they are a little complex) and use your btinternet.com email address as the "additional account".

When this has been completed, you can again go into the webmail interface and set the btinternet.com email address as the default. When you send emails, you will notice a drop down box with both of your addresses listed and you can choose either - but as you wish to use one and set this as default will then mean you don't need to choose it each time.

Note that you may have to completely log out of webmail before the additional email address is listed or made a default.

If you get any problems, just reply back (or email me via my shortcuts).

Aspiring Contributor
googoogajoob

Thank you very much :smileyhappy: <3

phreddo

Hi, I tried to send a picture by email and put in the wrong names for host and server. Can I fix this

stantoinne

bt openworld

Hi 

I had  a bt openworld email some years ago and it was suspended due to lack of use -is there any way of reinstating it?

Expert
IanC

phreddo wrote:

Hi, I tried to send a picture by email and put in the wrong names for host and server. Can I fix this

Sure - just go back to where you entered the wrong details, and enter the correct ones.

Expert
IanC

Re: bt openworld

stantoinne wrote:

Hi 

I had  a bt openworld email some years ago and it was suspended due to lack of use -is there any way of reinstating it?

Really ? Lots of freebie email accounts get revoked if they're not used, but @btopenworld.com addresses have never, as far as I'm aware, been freebies and I've never heard of one being suspended because it wasn't used.

Or have I misunderstood you ?

Guru
Andy_N

stantoinne wrote:

Hi 

Hi.

The problem you may have depends on the current state of the email address. If it was a sub account, then it's probably either not used by anyone, or has actually been re-used.

If it's a primary address, and has been cancelled, then I don't believe it's possible to re-use primaries. However a few years ago I thought that it could be a "7 year lockout" for re-use.

You could try sending an email to that account, apologising contacting the possible recipient. If you get a bounce back for "no such email", then you can just use it. If nothing happens, then it's almost certainly in use.

If you believe you may still actually "own" it, try my shortcuts option 3a for password reset. However there is a problem with this if the account is "owned" by someone else.

danielarbib

I use Incredimail 2.0 to receive and send to and from several providers one of which was btopenworld.com which now fails.

I can get them on the BT-Yahoo site but this is awkward   There is a  similar problem with btinternet.com