Contributor
landie57
Accepted Solution

duplicate email in outlook and not receiving all emails

I have looked at the other posts about duplicate emails but none seem to answer my problem

Recently I have started getting duplicate emails in my Outlook inbox, even if I have read them in Outlook. I have also noticed I am not receiving all emails, including the one from BTcommunity asking for verification of email to acces this forum. I only use BY Yahoo on line to check and delete spam and do not read email online at BTYahoo.

I have not, as far as I am aware, changed any of the settings in Outlook or on BTYahoo.

The Bt help screen swere less than helpful as my BTyahoo pages do not seem to have the options they suggest.

Another concern is the repeated downloading to outlook of the same emails will increase my braodband usage.

Guru
Andy_N

Re: duplicate email in outlook and not receiving all emails

landie57 wrote:

I have looked at the other posts about duplicate emails but none seem to answer my problem

Recently I have started getting duplicate emails in my Outlook inbox, even if I have read them in Outlook. I have also noticed I am not receiving all emails, including the one from BTcommunity asking for verification of email to acces this forum. I only use BY Yahoo on line to check and delete spam and do not read email online at BTYahoo.

I have not, as far as I am aware, changed any of the settings in Outlook or on BTYahoo.

The Bt help screen swere less than helpful as my BTyahoo pages do not seem to have the options they suggest.

Another concern is the repeated downloading to outlook of the same emails will increase my braodband usage.

Hi. Welcome to the forums.

Although receiving emails in Outlook will increase the usage, emails are generally very small - unless they all contain large attachments.

Duplicate emails received in your case as described is generally down to an email fetch process from Outlook (or any mail client program) failing to complete the download, and hence an index into the received emails is not updated. When checking for emails again, it gets the same emails it had before until it properly finishes the fetch.

There are a few reasons this can occur including communications failure, but also stuck emails can cause it to happen, possibly Outlook checking for emails at the exact same moment you are say deleting  spam via webmail at BTYahoo.

I assume you've checked the online spam folder in case various emails are ending up there, as opposed to just deleting the spam from the online Inbox.

Contributor
landie57

Yes I check online spam folder before deleting. The emails not received in outlook are in the inbox online. I do get a send receive error flash up in outlook but before I can click on it for details it disappears.

Contributor
landie57

I have now removed the sub account that was linked to the main account in MS Outlook and still get an error message telling me connection was interuppted. I have not received any new emails into my outlook account since 2ast March although there are plenty of new ones in the BTYahoo inbox. If I do a send/receive all I get is duplicates of the last dozen or so emails which have all been read in outlook and BTYahoo.

If I do not get this resolved soon I will be making a formal complaint and asking for a refund of rental as I am not getting the service I am paying for.

Guru
Andy_N

landie57 wrote:

I have now removed the sub account that was linked to the main account in MS Outlook and still get an error message telling me connection was interuppted. I have not received any new emails into my outlook account since 2ast March although there are plenty of new ones in the BTYahoo inbox. If I do a send/receive all I get is duplicates of the last dozen or so emails which have all been read in outlook and BTYahoo.

If I do not get this resolved soon I will be making a formal complaint and asking for a refund of rental as I am not getting the service I am paying for.

Hi again.

Not sure what you mean when you say you've removed the sub account linked to the main account.

There are a variety of reasons for the problem, including over aggressive anti-virus and security programs - what are you using ?

Even though one of the accounts may be fine, these products can seemingly interfere with one or more of them. Email scanning if on should always be turned off.

It could be a mail server problem with your account, but other avenues need to be checked first to make sure it's not a local setup issue, particularly if you've not received emails since 2ast ? March in Outlook.

In your case there could be a rogue email causing the failure to complete the "fetch". You could use webmail, move all the emails in that Inbox to a new folder, then move say one or two at a time into the Inbox and retry Outlook. Eventually it might fail on one email. They can sometimes get corrupted causing issues with mail client programs such as Outlook.

Contributor
landie57

By coincedence I did what you have just suggested. Moved all e-mails  (March 19th to today) from inbox into a new folder. I then tried send / receive in outlook and got the 14 new emails and no duplicates. So it may well have been one rouge item in inbox. As far as I know AVG settings have not been changed to cause this problem, unless it was a recent update to the software.

Contributor
landie57

Well that didn't last long.

Just gone into outlook again, send/receive and got the one new e-mail plus all the 14 I had previously downloaded. Still waiting for help desk to respond to my mail.

Beginner
Kaydie

Hi, I've got exactly the same problem as you. I use the free btyahoo netprotect anti virus product that has given problems in the past.

Contributor
landie57

I got rid of Netprotect ages ago because of problems it caused and now use AVG.

Think I have cracked it this time. I did a 'system restore' going back to a date prior to when the problem started. Outlook now works, I only get new mail and no duplicates. Fingers crossed.

Contributor
landie57

Well it worked for a while but is getting worse each time I use outlook. It seems large attachments eg 5Mb don't help. I get a connection failure. This causes duplicate downloads of e-mails received as server does not recognise they have already been downloaded due to previous connection failure.

Looking around this forum it would seem a large number of BT customers are suffering the same or very similar problems with little or no support or resolution from BT. Time for a good old fashioned snail mail letter to the chairman I think.