idg
Aspiring Contributor
idg

email Error Number: 0x800CCC92

I have a recurrent problem - it crops up, I suppose, every few weeks, and, since I've found no way of resolving it except perhaps changing my password, which itself has a time-lag built-in, I just leave it to resolve itself spontaneously, which it always has done up to now......

My daily routine is to go on BT Yahoo! itself at the start of the day, and maybe a couple more times during the day, to keep an eye on spam. The emails I want I then download in Outlook Express 6.

Occasionally, OE6 puts up a log-on confirmation box, with server ID, my address and my password all there. The password is the only thing you can't see at a glance is right (and in any case, why should any of them be wrong, if you've changed nothing?) Usually, therefore, I'll click on OK. I can go round this loop until I get tired of it, and click cancel, whereupon I get error message Error Number: 0x800CCC92 (or a whole series of them).

On the face of it, this points the finger at the server. Except that I've just been on the server, so I know that is, at least, not entirely down.

So what is happening here ? Does it imply BTY are doing maintenance which allows direct access, but blocks access via third parties ?

Does anyone else have this ? Is there a quick fix ?

And, hello moderator ? hello BT ? have you got apennorth to put in here ?

Sincerely

IDG

idg
Aspiring Contributor
idg

Re: email Error Number: 0x800CCC92

17.24 and after having periodically checked during the day, and finding the problem persisting, have just logged on through OE6 without difficulty. Which is what usually happens. Which makes me think the most likely explanation is that my settings have been fine through-out, and the interruption is at the BT end.

Hello ? Anybody there ?

Ian G.
Aspiring Expert
Fredo

Hi Ian.

I found this re your error:

Troubleshooting Outlook Express Error 0x800CCC92

You may get the following error message:

- There was a problem logging onto your mail server. Your Password was rejected.'pop.resource24.net', Server: 'pop.resource24.net', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR invalid user or password', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC92 

Solution
Check your Outlook Express settings, making sure that the POP3 and SMTP servers are as in theemail setup screenshots, and that your full username and password are correct.

If you are still having problems, it could be that your password has somehow become corrupted. Try changing it in My Account

The link is - http://www.resource-utilities.com/email_common_errors.aspx#0x800CCC92

idg
Aspiring Contributor
idg

First of all, apologies that my post now appears duplicated. I first posted successfully sometime around 10 am yesterday. I was back on the PC about 90 minutes later, and my post (which I had seen go up) was no-where to be seen on the forum - I scrolled down to as far as '3 hours ago'. So I posted again. When I logged in again about 17.25 to note the problem had cleared, there was still only the later post visible. Now, this morning, they're both there, and both have responses (I think both from the same person - if so, thankyou for your persistence.)

But as to the issue: thanks for the technical advice. But, as I think my original post implied, all that was already covered. I've been in the same situation multiple times before. Really, the only thing it's difficult to rule out for certain is the possible corruption of the password; but experience of n spontaneous recoveries makes this quite a small probability, and lo and behold! sometime yesterday afternoon, another spontaneous recovery.

Why is changing the password a delay, you ask ? Well, because it is ! In my experience, that is. The last time I did it, it took 10 or 12 hours to become effective.

Excuse me for banging the drum I banged yesterday teatime. To me, all the evidence suggests that sometimes, for whatever reason, BTYahoo! will allow direct access, but not 3rd party access. I'm a sample of one. How many other people may be experiencing it at the same time as me, I have no idea. Could it be geographical in some way ?  If for technical reasons what I'm saying is impossible, explain it to me ! And put up an alternative hypothesis that covers the facts, of which the most conspicuous to me are (1) the direct access/3rd party access divide and (2) the no local system change, before or after. and eventual sponstaneous recovery.

It has niggled me for many years (and not just with BTYahoo!) that ISP's do not, like other utility providers, give any notice of actions they know will disrupt service. (We're talking about an email service provider ! How difficult would a notification, or some sort of coherent error message or interrupt screen be ? The situation creates space for suspicions like the one I've voiced.) My experience is that 'they' are very secretive, even post hoc, about glitches in service. It's so easy to mutter about 'your settings' and imply it's all the user's fault. We're talking about an email service provider !  Transparency would be in everyone's interest, wouldn't it ?

IDG 

Guru
Andy_N

idg wrote:

First of all, apologies that my post now appears duplicated. I first posted successfully sometime around 10 am yesterday. I was back on the PC about 90 minutes later, and my post (which I had seen go up) was no-where to be seen on the forum - I scrolled down to as far as '3 hours ago'. So I posted again. When I logged in again about 17.25 to note the problem had cleared, there was still only the later post visible. Now, this morning, they're both there, and both have responses (I think both from the same person - if so, thankyou for your persistence.)

But as to the issue: thanks for the technical advice. But, as I think my original post implied, all that was already covered. I've been in the same situation multiple times before. Really, the only thing it's difficult to rule out for certain is the possible corruption of the password; but experience of n spontaneous recoveries makes this quite a small probability, and lo and behold! sometime yesterday afternoon, another spontaneous recovery.

Why is changing the password a delay, you ask ? Well, because it is ! In my experience, that is. The last time I did it, it took 10 or 12 hours to become effective.

Excuse me for banging the drum I banged yesterday teatime. To me, all the evidence suggests that sometimes, for whatever reason, BTYahoo! will allow direct access, but not 3rd party access. I'm a sample of one. How many other people may be experiencing it at the same time as me, I have no idea. Could it be geographical in some way ?  If for technical reasons what I'm saying is impossible, explain it to me ! And put up an alternative hypothesis that covers the facts, of which the most conspicuous to me are (1) the direct access/3rd party access divide and (2) the no local system change, before or after. and eventual sponstaneous recovery.

It has niggled me for many years (and not just with BTYahoo!) that ISP's do not, like other utility providers, give any notice of actions they know will disrupt service. (We're talking about an email service provider ! How difficult would a notification, or some sort of coherent error message or interrupt screen be ? The situation creates space for suspicions like the one I've voiced.) My experience is that 'they' are very secretive, even post hoc, about glitches in service. It's so easy to mutter about 'your settings' and imply it's all the user's fault. We're talking about an email service provider !  Transparency would be in everyone's interest, wouldn't it ?

IDG 

Hi again Ian.

As you implied, if the problem was widespread, there would be a huge amount of complaints. Indeed over in the internal newsgroups when an actual service failure happens, many, many people report the error.

There are only sporadic instances of people having similar email problems, which do clear after a while - sometimes a few days.

With respect with regard to the password delay, the delay would exist if you didn't change the password - as you would regain access after the same period anyway. The password change is instantaneous and easily proved.

Can you give further details about 3rd party access ? How are you actually trying to access the mail system in these cases ? If you mean that webmail works, and pop3 doesn't, then these are two completely different ways to access the email system.

Do you know if webmail is OK when you have pop3 access failures ? Over the years, sometimes the mail system has baulked at some corrupt emails for people, which can cause various access problems for pop3. Access via webmail can help when the emails can be moved to other folders and then attempted access one at a time.

You didn't say what particular anti-virus or other security packages you have. Some people have serious problems with different ones

Beginner
MarkRocketman

I also experience the Error 0x800CCC92 on a random basis. In the past I have spoken with BT’s support organisation (well BT or Yahoo its not possible to work out where you are in the system) who are full of ideas but no concrete solution to the problem. As per previous comment it feels like the best solution is to wait until it goes away. I find that hard to live with. Currently I am suffering an out break of  0x800CCC92  and my suspicion is that the issue is with BT Yahoos mail server since both of my mail clients (outlook 2003 & Vista  on XP & Visa) on two separate machines have the same problem at the same time. The problem appears to be that for what ever reason the password sent from Outlook is not recognised. I think this can mean three things:

1, The password in the Outlook settings are wrong,

2, The password is being transmitted with errors (corruption by network or malware on both machines?)

3, Something strange at the BT Yahoo end of things.

I have tried the following:

1, Reset passwords on BT Yahoo &  Outlook …… work’s on account set up test and for real for half an hour then 0x800CCC92’s  = Password must be OK.

2, Reset Router to default config tried Outlook Express …no change save for once = inconclusive

3, BT cant tell if the password that arrives at their servers is incorrect …….but after a couple of days the problem usually goes away….

So the question continues what’s changing, why and how can I resolve it ?

Aspiring Expert
tickhill

[ Edited ]

Just picked up on this thread which has been dormant for a few months.

I experience this just like the other Users have said - not everytime but now and then.

Sometimes not for weeks then suddenly every day -  like this week for example.

Just like London buses - nothing for ages then lots all at once!!

I have read of a known problem in Outlook Express and somewhere seen a patch to deal with it - but remember it looked complicated and didn't try it.

I find the simple way is to log out of the ISP Home pages (BTYahoo in my case) and log back in immediately - whereupon Outlook Express will work successfully ...until the next time that is!!

Sorry to see not picked up by the Moderators so have mailed the link to this thread to them at forum.moderation.team@bt.com.

Expert
Outcast_Aussie

If it's any consolation the "wrong password" thing happens in Evolution (email client) in Linux. It also used to happen on my AmigaOne several years ago.

At some random time a requester asks for Password.. entering it makes no difference. So I just close it and try later. My mail is always there on webmail anyway if it's something I am anxious to receive.

I put it down to being... Just one of those things.  At least I'll never forget my password !!

An MSCE in computing is like having a McDonalds Certification in World Cuisine, pointless.
Aspiring Expert
tickhill

The Forum Moderator has been in touch with me for full details of what I experience and I have responded.

This does appear to be one of those random problems which are the hardest to resolve.

I, for example, have a secondary account with an alternative email address which is accessed in exactly the same way as my primary email address and that, in several years, has never experienced the reject password problem.

So...watch this space.

Aspiring Expert
tickhill

The Forum Moderation team have responded.

It is a know issue.

They say:

Thanks for the email. I do understand that this has been very frustrating for you. I have been looking into this and there is a known issue with the email accounts being locked or showing as having problems with username and password, when more the one mode is used in trying to access that account, ie PC and mobile phone. At the moment there is no known fix for this other than to try and only use one mode at a time. I am not sure how you have your mobile set up to fetch data, it might help if you change your setting to manual so that it only looks for data when you are accessing the account.

My understanding of the problem is that it only happens when both modes have been used in quick succession. I know that it can be frustrating in trying to only use the one method in accessing you email and do understand that this isn't always possible. BT is aware of the problems but unfortunately I would not say for sure if and when a solution will be put into place.