b16del
Accepted Solution

how to hide ssid on the new hub 3.0

hi there,

i have just got the new hub and i want to hide my wireless network but there is no option to do this in the hub settings that i can see????? on the older hub i was able to do this .

any help welcome

thanks

Distinguished Guru
DS

Re: how to hide ssid on the new hub 3.0

Hi,

The hide SSID option is not available on the hub3.

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
Sean038

One of the major options to help secure a wireless network is to hide the SSID. BT supposedly pride themselves with the home hub v3 based on its security, and yet the major option of hiding SSID is missing.

Surely you are going to introduce this option soon.

Sage
Keith_Beddoe

[ Edited ]

Hiding the SSID is inconvenient to anyone trying to find a free wireless channel, and presents no obstacle to anyone serious about hacking your wireless network.

WiFi scanners will still see your wireless network`s MAC address.

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

Sean038

Answer seems sound.

However, IT Security & Forensics courses teach that during the process of setting up and securing a wireless network either domestically or industrially hiding the SSID is a major security step along with a decent security passphrase/key as well as encryption and authentication.

As for it being inconvienent for someone trying to find a free wireless channel, if you are referring to which channel the wireless network broadcasts on so as to avoid interference from other local networks broadcasting on the same channel, surely the home hub v3 "smart wireless" technology that is designed to avoid interference should solve this problem.

If you are referring to someone trying to find a free broadband connection, mine isnt free so I would want to hide mine.

One final thing if hiding the SSID is so inconvenient and provides no serious portection, why do all routers currently on sale even those designed for business networking solutions still have the option to hide the SSID. Home Hub V2 had it, Home Hub V3 is the only one that doesn't.

Sage
john46

hi Keith is refering to BT FON &OPENZONE services which are freely available on BT hubs Hiding SSID's would make use of these services unusable to others
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Sage
Keith_Beddoe

I was referring to the fact that other users with their own wireless routers, would not be able to see which channels are free, if other SSIDs are hidden.

When people only used WEP encryption, then hiding your SSID and using MAC filtering, were useful security precautions.

Now with WPA2 encryption, and good wireless passphrases, hiding your SSID seems a pit pointless.

I believe that on the home hub 2, if you hide your SSID, the BTOpenzone and FON SSIDs are still broadcast.

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

Distinguished Guru
DS

[ Edited ]

Sean038 wrote:

Answer seems sound.

However, IT Security & Forensics courses teach that during the process of setting up and securing a wireless network either domestically or industrially hiding the SSID is a major security step along with a decent security passphrase/key as well as encryption and authentication.

That I guess would be true, but won't ever stop a determined hacker

As for it being inconvienent for someone trying to find a free wireless channel, if you are referring to which channel the wireless network broadcasts on so as to avoid interference from other local networks broadcasting on the same channel,

I do believe Keith is referring to the above, not BTF/O

surely the home hub v3 "smart wireless" technology that is designed to avoid interference should solve this problem.

Hmm, 'smart wifi' only works on channels 1,6 and 11. IF these channels are all used and the signals from the other routers are the same (plausible), then TBH I'm not sure how 'smart wifi' would cope with this. It does check 3 times every 24 hours, though I've turned my 'smart wifi' off on my hub3.

If you are referring to someone trying to find a free broadband connection, mine isnt free so I would want to hide mine.

AFAIK if you hide your channel (on a hub2 for example), BTF/O would still transmit and be visible - it's been a while since any of my hub2's have been used as a primary hub

One final thing if hiding the SSID is so inconvenient and provides no serious portection, why do all routers currently on sale even those designed for business networking solutions still have the option to hide the SSID.

Don't know.... maybe just to hide it from those whom wouldn't know about wifi sniffers?

Home Hub V2 had it, Home Hub V3 is the only one that doesn't.

The hub3 allows us to turn off our own SSID yet leaving Fon/Openzone active. This wasn't possible on the hub2.

edit. Written before I noticed Keith had replied...:smileyvery-happy:

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
Sean038

Thanks for the responses.

I just wanna make sure I've got this straight.

Your telling me that:

Home Hub v2 - WPA2 - Hidden SSIS - Decent Passphrase

offers no more wireless network security than.

Home Hub v3 - WPA2 - Broadcast SSID- Decent Passphrase.

Is that right?

Expert
Jonkarra

Sean038 wrote:

One of the major options to help secure a wireless network is to hide the SSID. BT supposedly pride themselves with the home hub v3 based on its security, and yet the major option of hiding SSID is missing.

Surely you are going to introduce this option soon.

Hiding the SSID does nothing. There are dozens of network utilies that are easy to obtain that will still show your network and its SSID even if it is hidden. The only way to secure your network is strong authentication and encryption. IE dont use WEP and use WPA/WPA2 with the strongest available encryption algorythm AES-256 normally with a long and complex preshared key.