Beginner
Orkneylass

ipad & BT home hub 2 connection

I can't connect my ipad2 to our BT Home Hub 2.

When i go to settings/wi-fi I can see the home hub but when I select it and enter my password it comes up with "unable to join the network BTHomeHub2".  When I select the little arrow at the right it takes me to the IP address but everything is blank - how do I find the necessary details to input?

help someone!

Expert
geaves

Re: ipad & BT home hub 2 connection

Hi, this could be down to the network key.....with the HH3 the default network wireless security is et to WPA/WPA2 I think that's the same for the HH2, changing that to WPA only should solve the connection problems.

Contributor
ScotFour

Just spotted you have an HH2 connection roblem.

Short answer:

Try this workaround; despite my own scepticism when first advised about it, this will fix both wifi and ethernet problems; the fact that your HH2 will not connect to your wifi and/or your ethernet connector is related to the HH2’s acknowledged problem with its DHCP table. The message you quote is typical for this problem.

Access the Hub and set your wifi channel to non-automatic and select Channel 11.

Save the settings and re-boot the HomeHub and your PC.

Check your performance and that your wifi and/or ethernet connection is working normally, if this works you are OK, if not repeat the cycle and choose, in turn, Channels 9 and 1.

If your line speed is under-performing, it is now very important let the HH run very specifically for the training period uninterrupted (whether you believe that to be 72 hours, five days or ten days is for you to decide). I stress, do NOT reboot or disconnect the HH during that period to enable the exchange and it to establish the optimum speed for the line (during that period you may observe the HH resetting itself during renegotiation - that is normal).

Long answer:

See my post of 22 Sept 2011:

BT Failure & Sanctioned Workaround for HomeHub V 2.0 A

Good Luck

+++###+++
If you feel the problem is solved, please don't forget to come back and confrm the fix or post any other solution. It helps those who really need it to judge whether it works or not.
Also, mark the thread solved
Sage
john46

Hi again nothing to do with wireless channels check out ths link from apple it may help you http://support.apple.com/kb/ts3304 like geaves has said in his post wireless encryption could well be the answer
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Contributor
ScotFour

john46

I did read the post and did understand that this is a similar  issue I have encountered first handwith an identical error message.

However if you read my full post you would see why I offer this workaround. BT acknowledge that there is an issue with function of the DCHP table in some HH2's that cause disconnection and reconnection problems.

The workaround as supplied by BT (inexpliicably) works.

If you feel I have provided unhelpfull or indeed inaccurate information please do not hesitate to contact me privately.

In direct email exchanges with BT over the last few days it has been confirmed that the problem exists and as BT continue to phase out the use of HH2, no fimware update will address the issue. This is despite the fact that as you will see from posts on this board alone,  BT continue to issue the HH2 as brand-new-in-the-box kit without explanation as to the potential problem the customer may encounter.

Warmest

+++###+++
If you feel the problem is solved, please don't forget to come back and confrm the fix or post any other solution. It helps those who really need it to judge whether it works or not.
Expert
geaves

ScotFour wrote:

john46

I did read the post and did understand that this is a similar  issue I have encountered first handwith an identical error message.

However if you read my full post you would see why I offer this workaround. BT acknowledge that there is an issue with function of the DCHP table in some HH2's that cause disconnection and reconnection problems.

The workaround as supplied by BT (inexpliicably) works.

If you feel I have provided unhelpfull or indeed inaccurate information please do not hesitate to contact me privately.

In direct email exchanges with BT over the last few days it has been confirmed that the problem exists and as BT continue to phase out the use of HH2, no fimware update will address the issue. This is despite the fact that as you will see from posts on this board alone,  BT continue to issue the HH2 as brand-new-in-the-box kit without explanation as to the potential problem the customer may encounter.

Warmest

Whilst everyone's input here is invaluable, the problem with iPads, Kindles and some wireless network printers is the wireless security setting, the default being WPA/WPA2 changing that to WPA has been the solution, as not all wireless connections can use WPA2. 

If there is still a connection issue or indeed strength or MB/speed problem then change the channel, but too use a scanner to find what is the optimum, 1, 6 or 11. The reason 11 would have been suggested is because the average person just switches on and follows the install instructions or the CD, that uses 1 or 6 and I've had 1 of mine start on 7.

Changing the channel simply removes congestion and should improve connection speed and stability.

Contributor
ScotFour

I cannot disagree that you may be right.

Furthermore when this solution works (and it does work for a number of wifi and ethernet connection issues with HH2)  - it works.

BT may obfuscate as to why it works and mutter about DHCP table probems on old kit that BT are phasing out.

Suck it and see - I have seen it work, but it clearly cannot apply to all circumstances.

If it fixes your problem you will be content - and we will be discussing something different next week.

+++###+++
Distinguished Guru
DS

[ Edited ]

Although I don't own an ipad, could someone check this and see if this works....

Click on Settings > Wi-Fi >  > Static and input the following:

"IP Address" enter: 192.168.1.100 (check you're not already using it!).

"Subnet Mask" enter 255.255.255.0

"Router" enter 192.168.1.254

"DNS" enter 192.168.1.254, 192.168.1.254

tap on the Wi-Fi Networks button and then go back to your Home screen

Any joy?

If not try unplugging the hub for 30 seconds or so, then plug it back in.

(ideally a full factory reset of the hub would be better, but some may not want to do this)

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
BigPhil

Changing channel selection from automatic to channel 11 has just worked for me.

Need to update my hub!

Distinguished Guru
gg30340

Hi welcome to the forum, glad it worked for you. Did you notice the original post is nearly 2 years old, hope they have it sorted by now!

"If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer, click the white star"