Aspiring Contributor
hallsworthb
Accepted Solution

mail.btinternet.com password / login

Hi;

Outlook won't accept the username and password I used to use (I think!)

I am using my account login (Before "@", though I've tried the whole thing)

For password, I have tried both the one I thought it was and the ordinary account login password, which has now been reset.

Any ideas, please? I am out of them

Thanks

Bob

Sage
Keith_Beddoe

Re: mail.btinternet.com password / login

Can you access your webmail account without problems?

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

Aspiring Contributor
hallsworthb

Yes I can

Distinguished Guru
Ectophile

You should be using the whole email address (yourname)@btinternet.com and the corresponding password.

Look for a setting along the lines of "My server requires authentication" in your email program and tick that.  The user name and password are the same as your usual email address and password.

Look for a setting along the lines of "This server requires a secure connection (SSL)", and make sure that is NOT ticked.

Aspiring Contributor
hallsworthb

Just to emphasise - This is the server - mail.btinternet.com, not the login name

Bob

Aspiring Contributor
hallsworthb

I seem to have fixed it by using the master user name, although I'm sure I used a different one in the past.

I am getting old, so that may be the reason!:smileyhappy:

Thanks anyway

Bob

Sage
Keith_Beddoe

[ Edited ]

Deleted by poster, as now solved.

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

mikehigham

I get this problem but only on my pop account. it is normally fixed by changing my password but not now on one of my sub accounts, I have changed the password and can still access web based but both my Mac and I Pad keep telling me password not recgonised on the pop accounts, when I change the password it may work briefly then back to the same old thing, I have updated the password in my pop settings, it has been like this for a few days and I don't like using web mail so any help appreciated

Thanks

AlanCrease

I was being repeatedly asked for password - and had to reaffirm it via webmail.

For me the problem was my tablet and smart phone synching with my mailbox.  As soon as I turned off synch on the mobile devices   the problem disappeared.

I found the solution by trawling through other forums.  It affects  btinternet  but not btopenworld, apparently.

this should be more widely offered as a solution instead of the obvious  "check how you typed your name" etc.