Beginner
maggieb
Accepted Solution

new version of BT Broadband Desktop Help Installation problem

When i put on the PC earlier this afternoon there was a Pop up requesting me to install the new version of Desktop help.....well I clicked on the relevant bit and it has been installing ever since...nearly four hours...

I can't get rid of the screen which says 'please wait a few moments your new version of bt dh is now installing' at the top and with the rotating circle in the middle under the words 'desktop help is installing now'.

I have tried the escape button...CTRL/ALT/DELETE , switching off for an hour and putting back on again and still that screen is there...nothing else just blue background around the edge.   What can I do now????  any ideas anyone....I can't use that pc at all ...I'm using laptop for this.  Can anyone help please????

Expert
Geoff93

Re: new version of BT Broadband Desktop Help Installation problem

Can you get to the task manager and see the task running?

What version of windows are you using?
Beginner
maggieb

I can't get to anything because there's no task bar...just blue screen...I've got Windows XP

Beginner
maggieb

Success!!!!!  I switched everything off and disconnected from router.....waited about 15 mins then switched back on ...it began to appear as normal ..task bar and icons...then the dreaded screen appeared still with the rotating circle in the centre....then suddenly AVG appeared with 'Malware detected'

It stated  'malware CLOSEAPP.EXE '    type  Downloader.....so that would seem to have been the problem and it has been put in the vault and everything seems to be OK now....

Sorry to trouble you....thanks for answering me.....

Expert
Geoff93

No problem - glad you have a solution. Just for info - you don't need BT desktop help - you can access the hub and all its settings by typing 192.168.1.254 into your web browser.

BT desktop help has been known to cause problems.
Beginner
maggieb

Yes I realised that after reading the posts on here.....have now removed it....tks again..

Beginner
lafeenoire

i had the same just now and am keen to know exactly why there was a known malicious malware attached to a BT update download in the first place????Yes AVG detected it and quantiined it for disposal but of all the exe files I open the last I expect to drag along malicisou malware is a BT update???? Any clues???

R x

Expert
Geoff93

Could be a false positive. Have you looked on the AVG forums?
Beginner
lafeenoire

Not sure what it was hun, it was cleared off in the end, just a shock to see when updating BT tho x

D-Mac