Beginner
newkidontheblogg
Accepted Solution

phone cutting off

Hi,

new first time user.

Problem with my phone cutting off after a period of time from 5 - 7 minutes upwards.

Thought it may be a filter issue so added filters to 3 empty extension sockets and this seemed to resolve it temporarily.

It1s returned but less frequently and main complainant is my wife who likes lengthy calls to friendsand family!!

My system has a main socket with corded phone and extension to my office which has a single socket with double splitter for telephone and computer lead.

The telephone is a cordless hub with another phone connected wirelessly

3 empty extension sockets in othere parts of the house but all have filters fitted.

Internal wiring is aged, a bit like myself but never caused problems prior to switcing from AOL to BT.

I`m also experiencing some computer interference sporadically as if there is a conflict of signal somewhere.

Any iseas that I can try before calling in an engineer with ensuing costs.

Sage
john46

Re: phone cutting off

you need to connect your phone to the test socket to eliminate any internal wiring issues if the fault is at the test socket then there is no charge however if it is with your extensions then that is your responsibility and if Openreach were involved they would charge for any work done
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Beginner
newkidontheblogg

thanks John 46for quick response - unfortunately system is old and I do not have a modern test socket - so any other thoughts?
Sage
imjolly

If your main socket has phone and extension cable and end of extension cable you have a splitter and then cordless and router where does the filter fit in?
If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Beginner
newkidontheblogg

Start again; I have two live in use sockets. One in Kitchen with filter and then phone connected to this filter. 2nd socket in office with adsl split for computer link and to cordless phone base unit. there are two other not in use sockets which i fitted filters just in case.
I`ve also managed tp speak on the `phone for 15 minuyes without cut off so wonder if there was a"local" issue?
Contributor
artful42

This sounds like a problem with the wiring although with no master test socket it is difficult to determine where the fault is as your are unable to eliminate your internal wiring. Because of the age of your master socket and internal wiring Openreach will probably raise a charge or a visit - at engineer discretion! However whether this is passed onto you from your communications provider is up to them. If you phone your CP they will be able to test your liine for you, their results if it picks a fault up should give them a measurement as to where the fault is and whether an engineer visit is needed, IE internal or external problem. Eveeryone has their own 2 wires back to the exchange so your fault is unlikely to be affecting anyone else. However there are so many joints to the wires in the external network any of these can go faulty especially after heavy rain, wnid etc.

Beginner
newkidontheblogg

thanks artful42 - I think I`m getting there and probably if I want to move with the times I`ll invest in complete new internal wiring to today`s standard.
Can`t stand the wife`s complaining any more so I`ll just buy her off!!