Contributor
MikeZ

Re: port 161 open on home hub 3

They may well use it for remote diagnostics. I'm not particularly concerned about it as I said before. Just because it's listening on port 161 doesn't imply in any way that anything nasty can get through it to your internal network.

I've scanned internally and it's listening on 161 internally, too. I can't get any response with default community strings, though.
ravenstorm

I also did some tests and no responses at all, despite the port also being open (ONLY FOR) TCP internally.

Either way, it's not "passing through" traffic on the port. I wouldn't worry about it too much personally.

It's worth noting it's listening on TCP port 161, not UDP port 161.

I've never seen SNMP run over TCP (although it theory it could it certainly not implemented that way anywhere I've ever seen). Technically the port is reserved for SNMP, but that doesn't mean it actually is. 

So, it may not even be SNMP.... the mystery deepens...

ravenstorm

Well, here's some good news, should make you feel more secure about Hub 3:

Running: Linux 2.6.X
OS details: Linux 2.6.9 - 2.6.31

TCP Sequence Prediction: Difficulty=195 (Good luck!)

IP ID Sequence Generation: All zeros

Appears to be running OpenRG (http://www.jungo.com/openrg/pr_openrg.html)

:smileyhappy:

Contributor
MikeZ

Yup, I noticed it was Linux :smileyhappy:

SNMP over TCP has been around for about 10 years and was designed for more efficient bulk transfer of large SNMP reads but it's rarely used. I'm surprised it's not listening on UDP port 161 which makes me wonder whether it's some proprietary thing that's running.

CraigS

Hi All

Sorry for the delay here. 

I have had a look at this and found that BT use port 161 to carry out remote management on the Home Hub and the network.  We manage customer devices so that they and any feature on them do not present any security issue.

Sorry it took a while :smileyhappy:

ta

Craig

BTCare Community Mod

If we have asked you to email us with your details, please make sure you are logged in to the forum, otherwise you will not be able to see our ‘Contact Us’ link within our profiles.

We are sorry but we are unable to deal with service/account queries via the private message(PM) function so please don't PM your account info, we need to deal with this via our email account :-)”
td-p/30">Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.

If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Aspiring Expert
syops

thanks for the feedback on port 161 CraigS, any ideas on port 4567?

Check your exchange or major service outages

If someone has given a helpful answer, please click on their Ratings star on the left-hand side. :smileyhappy: ***
Distinguished Guru
DS

Thanks for that Craig

I knew you'd crack it...

"remote management" - Hmm, ok

"We manage customer devices so that they" - Hmm, not sure if I like the sound of that if I'm honest:smileysad:

"and any feature on them" - Hmm, how is this checked me wonders?

"do not present any security issue" - That bit sounds like a good thing...

I suppose it'll only concern me if I get my grubby little hands on a hub3....

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
Distinguished Guru
DS

Having eventually:smileymad: and successfully:smileyindifferent: set up the hub3, I now join the port 161 club....:smileysad:

Couple of email's to send and a good old look for any unusual activity....

Distinguished Guru
DS

DS wrote:

Having eventually:smileymad: and successfully:smileyindifferent: set up the hub3, I now join the port 161 club....:smileysad:

Craigs post is as much info that we'll get on this.

But regarding the bold text above, could this issue, that may not actually be a port issue as we believe, have something to do with an automatic BT speed test, carried out with no input from the user/owner of the hub?

And also something to do with GYRON?

reasons for thinking this - My AV has blocked incoming tcp port attempts from speedtest.btcentralplus.com and 89.145.122.150 and I've been nowhere near these sites... also to my knowledge, I've never seen these flagged before...

Expert
PheeragHfre

DS wrote:

Craigs post is as much info that we'll get on this.

But regarding the bold text above, could this issue, that may not actually be a port issue as we believe, have something to do with an automatic BT speed test, carried out with no input from the user/owner of the hub?

And also something to do with GYRON?

reasons for thinking this - My AV has blocked incoming tcp port attempts from speedtest.btcentralplus.com and 89.145.122.150 and I've been nowhere near these sites... also to my knowledge, I've never seen these flagged before...

You may be picking up the speedtester link when visiting this Forum. :smileysad:

As for  89.145.122.150 does this info help ring any bells? :smileyindifferent:

http://www.robtex.com/route/89.145.122.0-24---lon3.html

"I have this awful feeling someone is watching every move I make (one of my pet hates is router location tagging)." Marvin (A paranoid Android)