trevp39
Accepted Solution

problem with location shown in speed test

Hi all

I am hoping someone here can help me with this problem,

i have just run a speed test and it is showing my location as being in coventry how ever i live in scotland and when i first signed up to bt broadband i was getting 7+mb speeds but now i am stuggling to get 1.5's.

is there any way to get this sorted please as i am wanting the better speeds back.

hopefully someone can help me please

thankyou

Trev

Sage
imjolly

Re: problem with location shown in speed test

location is not a problem - I live just outside Edinburgh and mine often says location London.

If you are having speed/connection problems then can I suggest you post in the speeed/connection board and if you do  please can you post the adsl stats from your router may need to 'show detail' to get all stats (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser and navigate to adsl or use a-z, if netgear enter 192.168.0.1) and run btspeedtester (MAC users may have problems) http://speedtester.bt.com or http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9354/c/346,4740,5520 and post the results .

are you connected directly to the NTE5 master or test socket or to somewhere else? Is the master the only phone socket in your home?

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
trevp39

hi there thanks for the quick reply to my query, i have just phoned bt again and they are going to reprofile the line hopefully back to 8mb as bt speed test says it is profiled to 2mb which i guess that is why my speeds have been so horrendous lately
Sage
imjolly

that would explain low download speed but you really need to find the cause of the profile dropping otherwise it may happen in a very short space of time that you are back on 2mb profile - noise and connection dropping/being reset are the normal reasons

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.