Expert
FloFosterJenkins

"Cannot send message due to possible abuse"

[ Edited ]

This is a new one for me:

An unknown error has occurred. Subject 'Re: xxxxxxxl', Account: 'PrimaryEmail', Server: 'mail.btinternet.com', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '554 Transaction failed : Cannot send message due to possible abuse; please visit http://postmaster.yahoo.com/abuse_smtp.html for more information', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 554, Error Number: 0x800CCC6F

Has anyone else experienced this please? I can't report it to

http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/mail/postmaster/abuse_smtp.html

because I don't have a Yahoo ID, being a BT customer, accessing mail through BTYahoo.

I can't help wondering if this is Yahoo messing about with the BT mail servers in preparation for persuading BT to snoop on our email messages

because normally everything goes through BTYahoo and any admin to my Mail account etc is via my BTYahoo ID login.

PS - I just saw that this is being reported on the Usenet newsgroup, so it's not just a local problem, or me writing abusive words lol!

PPS - poster there says After hours on the phone to India problem remains unsolved. I can receive
email but not send. I can send and receive using Yahoo Mail.

Yet no problems reported on Service Status or bt.broadband.announce :smileymad:

Expert
FloFosterJenkins

Re: "Cannot send message due to possible abuse"

Just found this on a MS forum:

It is what it says. You have been banned for possible abuse. Contact your ISP.

1. No way has anyone here committed "abuse"

2. Other BT customers are reporting the problem simultaneously

Contributor
drsox

[ Edited ]

+1 to that problem for one of my customers. 

Brand new messages go out fine but replies or forwards get blocked with the same "Cannot send message due to possible abuse" error :smileysad:

Tom

Tom - www.mouselike.org
Expert
FloFosterJenkins

Spent ages with BT Helpline. Told them the error message. Wanted to take over my computer - no tx. Led me through BTYahoo Add New Address in webmail - my usual primary that's been working fine up to today! Waste of time :smileymad:

Contributor
AlGale

FloFosterJenkins wrote:

Just found this on a MS forum:

It is what it says. You have been banned for possible abuse. Contact your ISP.

1. No way has anyone here committed "abuse"

2. Other BT customers are reporting the problem simultaneously

Have you been sending a lot of email, particularly to multiple recients (mailining list for example)? That message can be triggered by the max number of recipients threshold for a possible spam alert

Can you sent to single recipients but not to multiple?

Had this recently on the mail server at one of my customers recently - in that case it was the whole domain blacklisted which was more than faintly embarrassing (in that case an old networked PC was acting as a spam server 'cos someone had disabled the AV)

There are 11 kinds of people in the world..... Those who understand binary, those who don't and those, like me, who wish they'd never heard of it...
Expert
FloFosterJenkins

[ Edited ]

AlGale wrote:
Have you been sending a lot of email, particularly to multiple recients (mailining list for example)? That message can be triggered by the max number of recipients threshold for a possible spam alert

I'll say just 11 things:

Normal fairly low-volume single recipient emails.

Mosr recent multiple post was to 3 recipients 3 days ago.

The mail servers seem generally a bit flaky today - prompting for passwords, server unexpectedly terminating the connection....

Contributor
AlGale

I'll say just 11 things:

LOL :smileyvery-happy:

There are 11 kinds of people in the world..... Those who understand binary, those who don't and those, like me, who wish they'd never heard of it...
Guru
toekneem

FloFosterJenkins wrote:

AlGale wrote:

I'll say just 11 things:

Normal fairly low-volume single recipient emails.

Mosr recent multiple post was to 3 recipients 3 days ago.

The mail servers seem generally a bit flaky today - prompting for passwords, server unexpectedly terminating the connection....

Where's the other 8 then:smileyvery-happy:

toekneem
http://www.no2nuisancecalls.net

(EASBF)

Aspiring Expert
Shazzy

I've been getting that today.  I thought perhaps it was because I was trying to send some scanned in documents to someone.  phew am glad it's not just me lol

Flossiestweeter

Found someone at the call centre who knows about the problem.  The SMTP server has had sporadic outages today and will be fixed in 48hrs.  None of my emails using the yahoo webmail were stopped it's only been hit and miss with Windows Mail - some have gone, some haven't.