Aspiring Contributor
corndog109

unable to connect iphone to BTHomeHub (Wi-Fi-)

Hello. I cannot connect my iphone to my BTHomeHub for Wi-Fi. In the Wi-Fi section of settings my iphone is picking up device when when I type in the password and try to connect it gives the message "unable to join BTHomeHub2-****".

Does anyone know how to correct this? My phone has no problem connecting to other Wi-Fi networks when I'm out and about.

Thanks.

Paul.

Aspiring Contributor
TaRkA

Re: unable to connect iphone to BTHomeHub (Wi-Fi-)

Try logging into the hub and change the security type from WEP to WPA or from WPA to WEP to see if that works.

My IPhone was a bit sketchy on WPA2 untikl I upgraded to the new OS. Now its fine.

Aspiring Contributor
corndog109

Hello. Thanks for response. I've tried switching from WAP to WEP and back again. Still no luck.

Any other ideas?

Thanks again.

Paul.

Aspiring Contributor
TaRkA

You could have MAC address filtering enabled in the hub. Check the wireless settings for something of that name, it means only wireless devices with specific MAC addresses can connect.

Try turning off the IPhone and restarting it.

Trying going into the wireless settings and remove any history of the HH from the IPhone.

Try changing the WEP/WPA key from the default to something different that is all letters.

Try changing to mixed numbers/letters.

Aspiring Contributor
corndog109

Hi. Still no luck with any of that. On the iphone when I go into Settings>Wi-Fi my HomeHub appears. It has a weak Wi-Fi signal symbol next to it along with a padlock symbol. When I press the small blue arrow next to HH the IP Address is set to DHCP and the HTTP Proxy is set to off. Is all this correct?

Any other ideas?

Thanks again.

Paul.

Aspiring Expert
GeneralDisquiet

You could try setting a static IP on the iPhone

IP address 192.168.1.75 say

Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0

Router 192.168.1.254

DNS 192.168.1.254

Search domains - leave empty

HTTP Proxy Off

Switch the iPhone off, then on again and see if it connects now.  If it doesn't it suggests you are entering the wrong password.

""To forbid us anything is to make us have a mind for it."
-- Michel de Montaigne, Essays, 1559

Aspiring Contributor
nottydread

Hey corndog, tell the iPhone to "forget the network" then go through the add BT Home Hub wi-fi again, re-enter the Wireless Key (try it in capitals too), might work.

Aspiring Contributor
corndog109

Hi. How do I forget the network again? I did it yesterday but can't seem to find it today. Also I now have different passwords for WAP and WEP. How do I make sure I'm entering the right one?

Thanks.

P

Aspiring Contributor
corndog109

Hi. I am asking iphone to "forget this network" but my HH is still on phone. Also next to all networks listed (BTOpenZone, BTFON etc) there is a weak Wi-Fi signal which disapears when I leave "settings".

Also, when I re-register my HH "securiy" is set as "None". Is this correct? When I change to WEP or WPA and add password it says "unable to find HH" rather than "unable to join HH".

HELP ME!!!!!!! loThanks.

Paul.

Aspiring Expert
GeneralDisquiet

When you tell the iPhone to forget a particular network, it will delete all the information it has stored about it.  Switch off the phone.  When you next switch the phone on, it will see your HH network, but ask you for the password again before it tries to connect.  Make sure you enter it correctly and it should connect straight away.  If it doesn't, the likelyhood is that you've entered the password incorrectly.

""To forbid us anything is to make us have a mind for it."
-- Michel de Montaigne, Essays, 1559