Contributor
Pam99

Re: unable to set up btinternet email account on galaxy S3

thanks if it fails this evening I will try the impap settings again but I did try these on the manual set up last night & it didn't work giving error message of "unable toconnect to server" hopefully using k9 will solve issue - will let you know if I manage to get through whole day without losing it.  I have had a series of PDAs + an iPhone & this is the first time I hv had any problems!

Contributor
Pam99

hv just checked & lost email account in k9 & through Samsung email app. Hv loaded yahoo mail app & added my account now working will let you know if I lose it again!! Just to let you know my husband's account still working fine including on auto synch,

Guru
AllanQuatermain

[ Edited ]

:smileysad:

For your bt mail [webmail]:

You can set it up from within k9 with the settings I posted above

or

Use the Yahoo Mail app

or

Both if you wish

I'd suggest IMAP for your mail on PC/phone to avoid complications.  Watch out when setting up the mail manually that when you've entered a page of the setup procedure no details vanish on the phone, such as part of your e-mail address or password.

Hotmail etc can also be set up from within k9.

You havent got imap on one device and pop3 on another by any chance?

The Gmail app on the phone is straighforward, and will find its own settings.

Edit:

I'd advise not to use the Samsung email app, social hub etc at this stage.

AQ.
"Welcome to Royston Vasey - You'll never leave."

Guru
AllanQuatermain

Pam99 wrote:

I hv had my galaxy s3 for 4 days & although I can set up my husband's account (his is the primary account) each day after 4-5 hours my account when synching has error message "incorrect username or password". I hv tried deleting & reloading & the next day problem reoccurs. I hvloaded manually with suggested settings both impap & pop3 which don't work at all!! HELP PLEASE

I cant understand why 1 a/c [your husbands] seems to be un-affected, yet yours does.

Silly Q I know, but you're not getting any username/password info wrong for yourself are you, not mixed up with your husbands?

The gmail a/c on your phone is your gmail a/c...........we are talking about a problem with BT mail here I'm assuming.

AQ.

Contributor
Pam99

no definately no confusion I use mine far more than his & like I said I hv been using & setting up PDAs for years from when you had to do everything manually. I can only assume it's because his is the primary account & mine secondary & the android system doesn't like it. I had the same problem when I tried to set up his tablet GTP3110  with both accounts - I gave up on that asitdis his & I hv my Ipad:smileyhappy:)

Guru
AllanQuatermain

I cant think that the two accounts compromise the phones functionality and am stumped.
Anyone else have a take on this?
AQ.

Guru
Andy_N

Pam99 wrote:

no definately no confusion I use mine far more than his & like I said I hv been using & setting up PDAs for years from when you had to do everything manually. I can only assume it's because his is the primary account & mine secondary & the android system doesn't like it. I had the same problem when I tried to set up his tablet GTP3110  with both accounts - I gave up on that asitdis his & I hv my Ipad:smileyhappy:)

Hi.

I've had a read through this thread, and it does seem weird that one account seems to be failing after a while. You say you've tried manually entering the details, what are you actually using ?, i.e. server address, port numbers etc.

The fact that you've tried on more than one device eiither means you have unfortunately set something wirong, or the account is one of those that fails from time to time. However as it works on a different app, then that means you've got a setting wrong.

Back to the failing account ... do you use any other device at the same time to access mail ? (i.e. both tablets/smartphones). If so, then this may be the issue. It has been reported that simultaneous access can cause problems, though not everyone sees this.

There is no reason that Android has a problem with primary/secondary accounts - there is no difference with respect to email access.

Contributor
Pam99

I do have my account set up on multiple devices; ipad, tablet pc, but obviously don't access them at the same time.  As stated previously I am used to inputting my account and have double/tripled checked that I am not inputting incorrectly.  I have tried setting up manually using the settings offered by Allan (and others!) using the imap setting and inputting port number & setting (SSL etc) once the account falls out it won't accept ANY settings, until the next day, when it has been switched off overnight, although I have my fingers crossed that downloading the yahoo app has solved the problem.  This is the first time ever that a device has dropped my account in this way, which is why I have assumed it is an android problem as this is the first time I have used android devices.

Guru
Andy_N

Pam99 wrote:

I do have my account set up on multiple devices; ipad, tablet pc, but obviously don't access them at the same time.  As stated previously I am used to inputting my account and have double/tripled checked that I am not inputting incorrectly.  I have tried setting up manually using the settings offered by Allan (and others!) using the imap setting and inputting port number & setting (SSL etc) once the account falls out it won't accept ANY settings, until the next day, when it has been switched off overnight, although I have my fingers crossed that downloading the yahoo app has solved the problem.  This is the first time ever that a device has dropped my account in this way, which is why I have assumed it is an android problem as this is the first time I have used android devices.

Hi again.

I have a small tablet using Android, and can use K9 to access my emails. However if I need to send, then I use a webmail client as I find that better for my needs. I do have a strange setup, but K9 happily reads my BTinternet emails - using pop3 via mail.btinternet.com and port 995. However this is for SSL security and Plain. If you require no SSL, then port 110 is to be used

Just one thing about the different devices, some folk setup their accounts on them, and if both (or more) users are using them at the same time - possibly checking emails, then this could be a simultaneous connection. I'm not saying that is the case here, as you've clearly indicated.

Also if these things are set to automatically check for new emails, then this could also cause multi-simultaneous issues - though it shouldn't of course.

Sorry if I've again said things you already know, but you should be able to receive emails fine. Sending is a little more complex, and requires other things to be set. I usually tend to get one thing sorted first, before moving onto the other - i.e. in this case receipt of email.

What shouldn't be happening is the loss of access after a few hours, but it's not unknown for some devices to lose connection and attempt to perhaps login to BTFon or something like that - which may have a bearing.

Contributor
Pam99

Hi - I do appreciate the help, it is frustrating, but I can confirm that no-one else is accessing my emails apart form me - even on different devices - I'm the only techfreak in the family :smileyhappy: - I did have it set up to synch manually initially so not autosynch problem.  Still have my fingers crossed, as the yahoo app is still working!! Connection isn't looking for BTfon as have seen this on my PC and would recognise it - initial error was with username or password.  Think it may just be a gremlin and fingers and toes crossed if I get through the whole day without the connection dropping the app has solved it!!