Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Contributor

unknown devices on network - could they be related to Hub / BT?

Hi.

had a few issues on Pc of late that has lead me to investigate fully settings ,security , configs etc.

I'm running Mcafee , XP and Home Hub 2 providing wireless access for other PC's in House. From my wired connection (via Hub) MCafee tells me (Home newtork) that I have an unknown device connected  - IP : 192.168.1.253,  is this something to do with the Hub?. It's always there but doesnt appear in my network in Hub Manager?. Help!!!!!

Similarly, 192.168.1.77 - not connecetd now, but conected previoulsy (dont know how long) last connection 15/03 - I have no idea again is this BT / Hub related. I searched the forums and all i could find was in a post on World of Warcraft  17/2 / 12 where someone was doing a tracing route and it gave this IP address apparently as "James -PC.home...".

Naturally, I am worried.

Very,very garteful for any help.

Thanks.:smileysad:

Distinguished Sage

Re: unknown devices on network - could they be related to Hub / BT?

192.168.1.253 is the internal USB port.

192.168.1.77 will be a device which has connected to your home hub. It could be any one of them, as the IP address will often change, so it might not be the same device.

It could be any of the othe PCs on your network.

Nothing to worry about.

You can "name" the devices in the home hub devices menu, so you will know in future which device it is.

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

Contributor

serious security problem . Quick help needed.

Hi ,

after a few weeks of scrabbling around sorting out  a few perceived sceurity issues with email etc - yesterday I belive I uncovered a big problem and need help please.

Hopefully I'm writing this from a clean machine as I beleive both desktops at home are compromised.

Main PC runs XP and has connectivity via ethernet cable via Home Hub2. 

Yetsrday whilst looking at my network connections I noticed something called "Internet GATEWAY" above my LAN icon.

It showed that I had been connected for over 2 days(just over 2 hours for LAN) even when PC turned off and was sending /receiving lots of packets and seemed much faster than my LAN. problem: I click on this & it wont let me disconnect or look at properties / settings  - I get a warning to say "connection is currently busy"..............I'm really concerned that this is someone else on my PC - can this be right? how do I resolve it? and is this a matter for the Police?. I really am concerned.Other symptoms I have noticed - my windows log on "sound" has dissapraed & in event manager - there are no security logs  - only one since 2006.  PC very slow. Have run SuperAntispyware  - no issues having removed a disable security centre option  a few days ago.  Really gratfeul l for help guys. Am at my wits end.

Aspiring Expert

Re: serious security problem . Quick help needed.

Contributor

Magiln,

thank you for your help. Still not too sure what to do  - I cant disconnect etc. Do you read this as having to go into teh hub and diable upnp option? - what does that mean? I'm fairly ok with IT but confused and a little worried by all this.

Contributor

Keith - thanks. I think I have uncovered some further security issues & put a new post up. Could be realted to this one? Not sure.  However, teh same IP address but with a different MAC & time of connection appears on another desktop at home - but with a different MAC address????. Dont understand this at all...what do you think?

Distinguished Guru

You could always try turning off the hub and doing a System Restore.

You can click the white star next to this message if you think it was helpful.
Distinguished Sage

[ Edited ]
I have merged the two threads as they are related to the same issue.
There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

Aspiring Expert

Since I use neither the HH nor windows I am probably not wel placed to advise on your need for upnp.

It is disabled on my router, and everything I need to do works OK.

One of  the more savvy memeber will hopefully help.

Do you recognise all the MACs that connect (ie are they a consistent set)?

Distinguished Sage

If the DHCP lease expires, then its quite possible for a different MAC address to be allocated to that IP.

I always use static IP addressing, and have a spreadsheet showing all my MAC adresses and the devices they belong to. This enables me to keep a check on any new devices that may appear.

My wireless point has MAC filtering as well, so no unauthorised wireless device can connect to it.