cable

0845 602 1111 - Text Messaging Service?????

I was reading about BT's text messaging service somewhere else on the internet and also on this forum. Unfortunately, having to register to make a comment I have now lost the link.

However, a similar problem with BT has also  been driving us crazy this evening. An allegeged text messaging service from BT, which is accessible to all and sundry, scammers et al., allegedly, calling from 0845 602 1111 has been ringing every 15 minutes from about 9pm.

WE DO NOT HAVE A BT PHONE, and we do not have a text phone. NOR IS OUR PHONE USED, EXCEPT FOR EMERGENCIES.

BT PLEASE STOP HARASSING PEOPLE!!!!

I have reserarched this number on the web, and people have lodged complaints on several web-sites trying to find ways of stopping these incessant nuisance calls from this same number. These complaints seem to date back some years, so why is it still happening??? Everyone seems agreed they originate from BT's messaging service.

Contributor
caerdydd

Re: 0845 602 1111 - Text Messaging Service?????

If they are BT Text then the calls are originating from the person trying to text you. It is just the same as someone calling you, they are just using the BT network to do it.

To Opt out from recieving the text as voice you would need to dial 0800 587 5252.

For SMS originating on T Mobile or Virgin then you would need to Opt out from their platform on 07953 966 066.

You need to dial these numbers from the phone you wish to Opt out.
cable

Many thanks, Caerdydd, for your suggestions. However, we opted out of all marketing calls etc etc and NO-one known to us would be texting or calling, on this landline. As I said, we keep it for emergencies only.

I would refuse to pay for a call to opt out of anything that I had not authorised in the first place. And yes we pay for all calls, even 0800.

The best option I can see is to do what someone else suggested, and open the window, and chuck the phone out!!!!

Thanks again, anyway.

Contributor
caerdydd

Opting out of Marketing calls or Telephone Preference Service as it is known will not stop BT Text. Anybody with a text enabled phone could message you and the number you quote is just the delivery for the service. I tend to think the 0845 602 1111 is the number you would dial to have the message reread back to you. I appreciate that chucking the phone out through a window would be more satisfying but it won't resolve the issue of recieving text messages as voice.
extent

[ Edited ]

I just got a call, its after midnight, great for halloween, lol :smileyhappy: I tried writing down the number first, as I wasnt going to call, but then curiousity got the better of me- the number itself didnt work for some reason, I didnt even get a "number has not been recognised".... but calling 1471 again, and then opting to return the call, did work. Someone DID send use the official 'mobile text to voice' BT service after all, as I recognised the callers name and number.. as the usual official BT womans voice read it out at the end of the message.

I suppose for certain services it doesnt matter if your with BT or not, since whoever you are with, pay BT anyway, as they own all the phone lines after all-but ive never seen this 'mobile text to voice' service advertised before. No doubt its not a cheap service to use either, and ive no idea how much it cost me to hear the message. Im hoping it'll never have an 'email to voice' option, as with the number of scam emails I get already, id probably be up all night answering the ******* phone! lol. I can see how people might have believed it to initially be a scam number, since scammers can easily use it to call your home and threaten/offer whatever they want.

annwat

I have had the same problem and I am not even a BT customer, I phoned the 08005875252 number on here and managed to stop having them, it says it takes 20 mins so fingers crossed I don't have any more of them.

sb876

I have had a long and sleepless night.

One of my daughter's friends accidentally sent a text to our home line rather than to her mobile and I received it on the landline at about midnight as I was still up.  I have then had at least 4 calls through the night from this number.  On the one occasion I picked it up before it cut off, the phone was dead.

I don't mind receiving a text message once, but why the repeated calls? Did I not press some button to say I'd received it or something?

Guru
AllanQuatermain

Select the save or delete option for the text.
AQ.
"Welcome to Royston Vasey - You'll never leave."

Beginner
dilbar

I have a cable phone line not owned by BT but by Virgin

Sage
Keith_Beddoe

dilbar wrote:

I have a cable phone line not owned by BT but by Virgin

Then speak to Virgin about it.

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.