ABC
Aspiring Contributor
ABC

BT Response 75+ answerphone strange behaviour

I bought the 75+ to replace my trusty old 75 that I'd had for years and was destroyed by a power cut/surge.  I never had a moment's difficulty with the old one.  This one, less than a year old, has started behaving very strangely in the date/time and 1471 recording.  It gives the day, time and number of the PREVIOUS message!  So the first message of the day has no date stamp or number given; but when I know the number of the person concerned (or check against the recording of the numbers on my phone) it's clear that the date/time/number message after the second message in fact relates to the first message!  I've tried turning everything off and starting again, but the problem remains.  This means that if I have only one message I don't know when they phoned or the number; and I never know this information for the last message.  Any ideas?

bfg
Aspiring Expert
bfg

Re: BT Response 75+ answerphone strange behaviour

Hi ABC,

that does sound strange :smileyindifferent:

You have said '.... in the date/time and 1471 recording.  It gives....', do you mean you have the issue with the stored number list on the phopne or the 1471 service from BT?

If it is just on the phone i would put it down to gremlins, and if within the year might be worth taking the phone back to where you bought it from.

if it is with the 1471 service, this would be a BT issue and you want to report online or via the faults teams on 0800 800 151.

good luck

ABC
Aspiring Contributor
ABC

The problem is on the answerphone.  The machine automatically dials 1471 and add the message obtained to the date/time stamp on the answerphone.  The Response 75+ is a stand-alone answering machine/answerphone.

bfg
Aspiring Expert
bfg

ah ok, i'm not really familiar with the product but....

I have had a quick look at the 75+ and the guides seem to say it takes the time stamp from the time built into the phone, not from the call data.

It looks like you have checked the obvious already, but i'l ask any way...

have you checked the time stored on the phone?

When you turned it off did you remove the battery?

If you have tried this already I would guess the phone is 'having a turn' and might be worth taking it back before the warranty runs out.

Sorry I can't be of any more help.

ABC
Aspiring Contributor
ABC

Ah, I never tried removing the battery - would that help?  Yes, I've done all the other things.

bfg
Aspiring Expert
bfg

To be honest i am not sure, but by removing the battery you will be completing a 'hard reset' back to factory settings, so if its has become out of synch, this is probably the best way to re-synch it.

But becareful as it could be that the answer machine is breaking down, and you might re-synch the time just long enough for it to be out of warranty:smileysad:.

It might just be a glicth caused by a power surge or similar and then you wont have any further problems.

Goodluck.

ABC
Aspiring Contributor
ABC

It's been going on for some time, so it isn't just a temporary power surge issue.

Unfortunately, I realised that the 75+, unlike the 75, doesn't have a battery.  I unpllugged and disconnected everything for 10 minutes, but it clearly doesn't do a complete reset because my own outgoing message is still there.  I'll have to wait to see if things have improved.....  but I'm not holding my breath.

Contributor
JohnB47

I'm thinking of buying one of these, so I'm interested in the problem you're having.

I noticed that you mentioned that the unit automatically calls 1471 after each call. Reading the Manual, I see that this feature is set to 'on' by default but you can turn it iff. Try turning it off to see if it fixes the problem. The 1471 feature is only useful if someone doesn't leave a message and you want to know their number.

Still, you shouldn't get the problem you mention.

ABC
Aspiring Contributor
ABC

[ Edited ]
I THINK - almost certain - that the problem has been fixed by the semi-reset I achieved through turning it off for 10 minutes and disconnecting everything - it hadn't worked before when there was a power-cut or when I'd turned it off for a minute, so I hadn't really expected anything much, but tonight I got home to messages with their appropriate labels attached. You can indeed turn off the 1471, and I do at times, but in general I find it a very useful feature - hence my annoyance when it was mislabelling messages!
Contributor
JohnB47

[ Edited ]

Thanks ABC.

As the 75+ doesn't have a battery, it suggests that a capicitor holds the settings during momentary breaks in power and that, as you have hopefully found, it needs around 10 minutes to completely discharge so as to cause a full reset.

Looks like it's OK for me to go ahead and buy one of these.

Thanks again.