kerrydickenson

BT Text - BT will not stop phoning me!

Hello, i've recently bought a new phone with a SMS-sending feature on it, so i thought i'd try it out. Now every 10/15 minutes my phone rings, and if i answer i get a dead line which then hangs up. If i ring 1471, the number is 08005875290. If i call it back, it says that i was called by SMS Text by BT, and then gives me the web address "www.bt.com/bttext". My phone won't stop ringing and it's driving me mad! I'm not even on BT!

dirtydogg

Re: BT Text - BT will not stop phoning me!

This is a very easy issue many people have had. It is easily solved. Unplug the phone from the socket, wait 5 mins, open the window and throw the phone out of it into next doors garden. Hopefully the your neighbour will get knocked out by it solving another problem.

kerrydickenson

Thanks, yeah, really helpful...

Community Manager
SeanD

Hi Kerrydickenson,

Thanks for the post and welcome to the forum.  This sounds so annoying, I can help.

Is this problem still occurring, are you still getting these phone calls?  Who is your telephone service provider?  Has the problem only started when you started using your new phone?

To be honest I am not sure what is causing this, please drop me a reply with the answer to the above questions and I'll see what we can do to stop the annoying calls. 

Cheers

Sean

BTCare Community Manager

If we have asked you to email us with your details, please make sure you are logged in to the forum, otherwise you will not be able to see our ‘Contact Us’ link within our profiles.

We are sorry that we are unable to deal with service/account queries via the private message(PM) function so please don't PM your account info, we need to deal with this via our email account :-)
kerrydickenson

Hello! Thanks for posting, but the calls have stopped. They went on for about 2 hours and then stopped. Hopefully they won't happen again!

Community Manager
SeanD

Hey Kerrydickenson,

That's good news.  Weird to say the least.  If they start happening again please get back to me.

Cheers

Sean

BTCare Community Manager

If we have asked you to email us with your details, please make sure you are logged in to the forum, otherwise you will not be able to see our ‘Contact Us’ link within our profiles.

We are sorry that we are unable to deal with service/account queries via the private message(PM) function so please don't PM your account info, we need to deal with this via our email account :-)
bfg
Aspiring Expert
bfg

The call you were receiving is the Text trying to come through to your new phone. The phone should recognise the 'text' call and convert the call to a text SMS, if the phone you are using doesnt recognise the 'text' call it will leave it come through as a call, and you get the 0800 number left on your 1471.

This can be repeated as the text system doesnt realise it has already been received and keeps trying to get the text through to you.

The simplest soultion to this (if you get it again) is to check and make sure the 'SMS send and receive numbers' are stored correctly in your phone (as your phone wasnt recognising the 'text' call as SMS, the details can be found in the user manual or online via the manufacturer of the phone) or to carry out part of the first advice. By unplugging your phone from the BT line and power for 10 to 15 minutes all the settings will be reset (hopefully without deleting any save numbers) and the text should come through corrcetly. if not call BT faults 0800800151.

MikeP

Just ring 0800 587 5252 and then listen to the options, select option 1 to let you change when the texts are sent (there is normally a curfew between 11 PM and 8 AM but you can change that).  I chose option 5 at that point to turn off ALL text messages as we don't want them and don't have a text enabled phone.

Betty246

I have been getting sms text from BT, always blank and they're happening all times of day and night. I phoned the number the last poster kindly gave but they have taken the option off to stop receiving them altogether, now you can just change the times you receive them. It said I was on a curfew of no sms between 11pm and 8am. So why was I woken by 1 at 6am this morning? And how do I stop them? I am not with BT and have only been getting them since I switched providers which makes me think it's BT just trying to get on my nerves!

Aspiring Expert
OldGold

Re: BT Text - BT will not stop phoning me! MODS PERHAPS

I have seen similar questions on other forums, they also state that option 5 in no long an option, a definite answer would help a number of people.

Ray.