Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Accepted Solution

BT’s Emergency Welfare response to an elderly disabled with a line fault.

Am really upset that nothing has happened yet, here is the time line of events and I'm still waiting.

6th December 2013 – A neighbour phones BT for my elderly disabled mother as her phone is out of order. I am not sure if the neighbour explains that my mother is 85 years old, has an artificial hip, is waiting a replacement knee operation and walks with a stick. She lives in a flat and has 49 steps to walk to reach ground level and she lives alone. The neighbour could not make an appointment for my mother without her to confirm a date and time. She was told to do the pre-visit checks which my mother then had to ask another neighbour to help her with. It appeared to be a fault on the line.

13th December – My husband reports the fault on the line. BT now has a mobile number to call (my mother does not have a mobile phone). My father, the bill payer also reports the fault, and gives a mobile number and was told to expect a call on the 17thDecember.

17th December – My mother stayed in waiting for BT. My father missed the call on his mobile. Only one attempt (he is 84 years old) and a text that followed saying use BT online, he is not familiar with technology and for that I am more cross with him than with BT. He gets in touch with BT and rearranges a call for the 19th December.

19th December – My mother stayed in all day, nothing. My father had no contact either. I decided to take over. I only have some prior information. I raised the fault with BT and was informed that the BT engineers have been to fix the fault external to the property but was unable to finish as night and bad light prevented it. I requested if they needed to contact me to do so on my landline and this was agreed.

24rd December – My mother’s fault has not been repaired so I phoned BT. I was miffed an automated message says “You are not a BT customer please contact your supplier” So I tried a few times. Of course I can insist that I am a customer but I’m talking to a machine. So my husband decided to try the online chat. Apparently they could not gain entry to the property on 18th December. The aim now was to fix it by the 30th December and will raise a priority welfare case and they will be in touch with us on our landline. We also gave dates that my mother would be away over the Christmas period for 5 days.

31st December – We have had no call and my mother was in all day and there is still a fault.

2nd January 2014 – I felt I had been patient, understanding it was holiday time, the storms and issues with communication. My husband, at home, raised an online chat again explaining the issues. The agent disconnected before the end of the chat. I phoned to report the fault and decide to step up a gear. I was at the property where the fault was and I explained this to the agent so if anyone needed access to the property I was there. I waited while the agent read the history. They do this for 2 minutes every time you call or are online. The agent appears to want to raise it as a new fault as it was in the first instances. In the meantime my husband gets a text to say they will aim to fix the fault by 8th January. I requested to speak to his supervisor as I explain we have done this part 3 times already and it would be best to escalate the issue. I asked to speak to a supervisor 7-8 times and his replies were “the supervisor will not be able to do any more than what I am doing for you now”, “please don’t speak to my supervisor”, “my supervisor is busy” I told him I was happy to wait for the supervisor to be free. When I asked him if he is refusing me to speak to a supervisor he said “I cannot answer that ma’m”. After begging and pleading with him he arranged a call back between 12 and 2pm. I get the call from a supervisor she introduces herself as that. After some discussion about my mother’s age etc she suggests the Emergency Welfare team which my mother fits the criteria. “You will have a response in 30 hours” it is now 1.30pm it would take us to 7.30pm on a Friday night.

3rd January – No call and there is still a fault at 7.45pm. I phone BT to say I’ve had no response. We will call you in 4 hours. Crazy, it was going to take me to midnight so he agreed they would call in 2 hours. They don’t call so I call them and requested I speak to a supervisor. I get a call back by a supervisor at 10.30pm. I always ask them to phone on my landline they don’t. I am assured of a call by 12pm tomorrow.

4th January – get a text at 8am to inform me I will get a call between 12 and 2pm (pushing the goal posts again) I get a call to say the engineer will go and check the fault today and that they may not have to have access to the property as they will check external to the property. They did this on the 19th December. By 7.30pm I checked if my mother’s phone was working. No it isn’t.

5th January – get a text at 8am to inform me I will get a call between 12 and 2pm. Emergency welfare has clocked up 67 hours. Why they can’t just knock on her door I’ll never know. She lives in London and I bet BT engineers are passing the very busy road where she lives every few hours. Sometimes technology is a hindrance and the old ways are best.

Re: BT’s Emergency Welfare response to an elderly disabled with a line fault.

Hi Etteloc,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting!

I'm sorry that your Mum's telephone service has developed a fault and also for the length of time this has taken to sort out.  I completely understand the circumstances and how vital it is for her to have a working telephone service. 

No need to worry as I can get things sorted from here.  Click on my username and under the section "about me" you'll see the link to get in touch with us.  Please include the link to this thread when you complete the form.

Once completed, post back with something along the lines of "details sent" (without pasting the reference number) and I'll arrange for it to be picked up as soon as possible.

Thanks a million,

Robbie

RobbieMac | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
Make sure you are logged into the forum otherwise you will not see our contact link when a moderator offers help. When sending us your details please don’t send a Private message (PM), we can’t deal with account/service issues via PM so please use the contact link. Thank You

Details Sent, Many Thanks.

Hi Etteloc,

Thanks for that.  We'll get this picked up now and give you a shout back shortly.

Cheers

Robbie

RobbieMac | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
Make sure you are logged into the forum otherwise you will not see our contact link when a moderator offers help. When sending us your details please don’t send a Private message (PM), we can’t deal with account/service issues via PM so please use the contact link. Thank You

An engineer called today and fixed the fault. It was surprisingly quick considering I posted on a Sunday. I had calls informing me of progress and have also had a follow up call this evening to check all is well. It was a shame I had to post on the forum, I wasn't keen to do so but I am glad I did.  

Many Thanks to the moderator the others who helped.

Distinguished Guru

[ Edited ]

Glad you got it fixed. For future reference this might be relevant.

You can click the white star next to this message if you think it was helpful.
Distinguished Sage