Aspiring Contributor
rajinderpauluck
Accepted Solution

Block numbers on landline

Hi there,

I was wondering whether it's possible to block numbers on the landline as I am getting really irritated by these calls and a lot of them are call centres and sales calls.

Many thanks,

Paul
Sage
Keith_Beddoe

Re: Block numbers on landline

[ Edited ]

rajinderpauluck wrote:
Hi there,

I was wondering whether it's possible to block numbers on the landline as I am getting really irritated by these calls and a lot of them are call centres and sales calls.

Many thanks,

Paul

BT offer a service called "Choose to Refuse" which allows you to block up to 10 numbers.

See http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/displayTopic.do?topicId=28921

Click on "Extra Features" option

The first month is free. Sometimes that is long enough to put callers off.

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

Aspiring Contributor
rajinderpauluck

Hi Keith_Beddoe,

Thank you for taking the time to answering my thread, your help was much appreciated and I'll give this a whirl.

Many thanks,

Paul
Sage
Keith_Beddoe

rajinderpauluck wrote:
Hi Keith_Beddoe,

Thank you for taking the time to answering my thread, your help was much appreciated and I'll give this a whirl.

Many thanks,

Paul

If you have any problems, let me know, as I use the service. I also have Anonymous Call Rejection as well, to stop "withheld" calls. Total peace and quite :smileyhappy:

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

Distinguished Guru
pottyperson

[ Edited ]

rajinderpauluck wrote:

You can register with BT Privacy on 0800 916 5544. This gives you Caller Display free if you have a compatible phone (subject to making a few calls with BT) and will register you with the Telephone Preference Service (which prohibits UK cold calls).
Alternatively you can register with the TPS online here: http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/ctps/number_type.html. It officially takes effect after 28 days, but in practice it often works much sooner.
You can click the white star next to this message if you think it was helpful.
Aspiring Contributor
rajinderpauluck

[ Edited ]
Hi pottyperson, I will also look into this too as well as Keith_Beddoe's suggestion, thank you very much for your help, really much appreciated. Many thanks, Paul
Beginner
DenysB

Most effective solution is to buy the Truecall device. This sits between your phone and the BT line and filters your calls. Truecall needs BT's CallerID service so that it can recognise the caller's number. If it is someone you know, it lets the call through and your phone rings. If the number is withheld or unknown, it intercepts the call, asks the caller his name, then rings you to ask if you want to take the call. You can permanently block calls from specific numbers (or withheld or international numbers), and give them a message not to bother you any more. Unlike BT's new phone or the choose to refuse service, there is no practical limit to the size of the "zap" list or the "friends" list, both of which you can populate "on the fly". The only downside is if you have friends who call you from overseas, is that you can't discriminate between them and the wretched call centre in Delhi. This is because BT's network won't pass on an international caller ID to you even though it knows it in many cases. BT's traditional excuse for this is likely to be that there is an ITU protocol protecting the privacy of the international caller (your privacy doesn't count in this).
Distinguished Guru
pottyperson

DenysB wrote:
Most effective solution is to buy the Truecall device.

Not so sure that's correct now as BT have just brought out the BT 6500 phone. Well worth a look at less than half the price of trueCall.

You can click the white star next to this message if you think it was helpful.
Beginner
DenysB

The 6500 looks to be a nice phone if you need a new one. However, I understand you can only have 10 numbers on the blocked list, and calls with an international, unknown or withheld caller ID can be sent directly to the answering machine. Call Block, about the same price as a single new 6500, intercepts calls of unknown origin with a message warning the caller that PPI or marketing calls will not be accepted, and inviting the caller to dial 5 to continue. Truecall gives you all these options without a practical limit on the list of numbers you can block or allow straight through. All are limited by BT's failure to transmit the Caller ID from international sources - mobile network operators are not so reluctant. The greatest service BT could provide the community is to begin to transmit the international Caller IDs, which is where the majority of nuisance calls come from, and are outside the remit of the TPS or UK regulations. This would require BT to install a software upgrade on its local exchanges which has been available to them since at least 1994, and never implemented.
Guru
toekneem

DenysB wrote:
The 6500 looks to be a nice phone if you need a new one. However, I understand you can only have 10 numbers on the blocked list, and calls with an international, unknown or withheld caller ID can be sent directly to the answering machine. Call Block, about the same price as a single new 6500, intercepts calls of unknown origin with a message warning the caller that PPI or marketing calls will not be accepted, and inviting the caller to dial 5 to continue. Truecall gives you all these options without a practical limit on the list of numbers you can block or allow straight through. All are limited by BT's failure to transmit the Caller ID from international sources - mobile network operators are not so reluctant. The greatest service BT could provide the community is to begin to transmit the international Caller IDs, which is where the majority of nuisance calls come from, and are outside the remit of the TPS or UK regulations. This would require BT to install a software upgrade on its local exchanges which has been available to them since at least 1994, and never implemented.

Have to agree. The truecall unit although initially more expensive is far far more customisable and I for one would not go without it.

But I would like to say, it's great that at last someone else has seen that customers are right p****d off with nuisance calls and has come out with an alternative. Thats about 3 at the mo.

toekneem
http://www.no2nuisancecalls.net

(EASBF)