chrissy
Accepted Solution

CROSS LINE

Does anyone else out there get the sound of some one dialling out whilst they are on the phone? then being cut off. I have even heard a two way conversation between two men discussing a credit card, one obviously being the bank in question it was quite interesting, but who is eavesdropping on my calls I wonder. When my line was checked I was told there was no problem, must be the fact that I use a cordLESS phone and the base unit is picking up other signals Can this be right.  HELP!!!!!!!  If this is correct I shall be going back to a old fashioned phone with a cord.

Aspiring Expert
Somerled

Re: CROSS LINE

chrissy wrote:

Does anyone else out there get the sound of some one dialling out whilst they are on the phone? then being cut off. I have even heard a two way conversation between two men discussing a credit card, one obviously being the bank in question it was quite interesting, but who is eavesdropping on my calls I wonder. When my line was checked I was told there was no problem, must be the fact that I use a cordLESS phone and the base unit is picking up other signals Can this be right.  HELP!!!!!!!  If this is correct I shall be going back to a old fashioned phone with a cord.

It all depends .....

If your cordless phone works on the "DECT" system, then that won't be the problem. DECT is secure, and overhearing isn't an issue.  However - if your phone is an older, imported one, it's possible that you will overhear others. Years ago, many of the first cordless phones were rather dubious imports. They used a crude technology, which was prone to all sorts of undesireable effects - including overhearing.

To fix your problem -

1  Check the instructions of your cordless phone to make sure it's "DECT". If it's not, scrap it - sorry.

2  Use a corded phone for a bit. If the problem disappears, you'll have been using an old non-DECT phone - see above. If the problem is still there, then there is a cable fault affecting your line. You should re-report it as "Overhearing". Make sure you get the fault reference number when you report it. You may need it if there are any disputes.

chrissy

Thanks for the advice, its a new cordless phone though a BT STUDIO 4500 looks like I will have to get onto BT again.

Aspiring Expert
Somerled

That phone is DECT - so there is NO chance of it overhearing someone else's calls.

What is happening is this :

Somewhere in the cable route from your house to the telephone exchange (or possibly IN the exchange), there is a contact between your pair of wires and someone else's. It's also possible that lots of people on the same cable are having this problem - which would indicate a major cable fault. There is a BT line fault, plain and simple. Don't let the help desk people persuade you otherwise (and they may try, unfortunately).

chrissy

Thank you I will keep onto them I was starting to feel like it was me that was going mental.

bennetal

Hi did you get your overhearing problem resolved. I have a similar problem using a DECT cordless phone and the suggestion is from BT that it is my equipment.