Aspiring Expert
john_crocker

Caller Id on Landline Stopped Working!

Arrgh!

A couple of days ago i noticed that Caller ID had stopped working on our Landline, now the numbers are nolonger displayed on our caller id phone when somebody calls..

Is this likely to be a fault with our phones or BT? I rang BT up and they said Caller Id was still enabled on our account?

Whats the best way of testing this? I dont want to have to fork out £140 for an engineer to come out

JC

Guru
Devon_Dave

Re: Caller Id on Landline Stopped Working!

Hi

Can I suggest that you dial *#234# from your phone and hear what announcement you get.

If you hear that callers number will be shown I suggest that you have a fault at your premises either with an ADSL filter or a telephone, the best suggestion is by with a process of elimination (Change filter, changephone, unplug all apps)

If the announcement is that numbers will not be displayed you need to contact your comms provider, if its BT call 0800 800 151.

(If I have helped you in any way to say "Thank You" please click on the star next to the message. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
neilk

I also have the same issue.For years I have had caller id all working ok.In the last 2 weeks however it is displaying"external call" when i receive an incoming call.BT have checked my subscription and phones are all ok even to the point that when reporting the fault the engineer rang back and his number did show.However I have tried all the answers that I have seeen posted including unplugging filters etc, but still have this problem.Any ideas?

Guru
Devon_Dave

Hi and welcome.

So what announcement did you get when you dialled *#234#

(If I have helped you in any way to say "Thank You" please click on the star next to the message. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
Distinguished Guru
pottyperson

@ Devon_Dave

I've just got the same problem out of the blue. But I've had the courtesy to thank you and check that Caller Display is enabled.

I changed the ADSL filter with no success. But I tried another phone and it displays caller info. So it looks as though the main phone is playing up. It does everything else correctly, including listing incoming calls. I can't find any relevant settings on the handsets or base station.

I know it's a long shot but do you have any ideas?

You can click the white star next to this message if you think it was helpful.
Guru
Devon_Dave

[ Edited ]

Hi.

Thanks for your feedback, have you tried disconnecting everything connected to the phone line? (sky boxes, home hub, filters etc) and then just plug your phone in.

If that works ok, plug each item in one at a time and see what one causes the problem.

I have had an issue once where a customers router was masking the calling line information (which is actually sent down your phone line just before the ringing is sent)

Distinguished Guru
pottyperson

Thanks DD. Stripped down to cordless phone only and Caller Display came back. Added other devices one by one (ADSL filter, splitter to corded phone for power cuts, BT Home Hub) and guess what? Caller Display is still there!

Must have disturbed something along the way. No idea what, but you receive another "thank you" for getting me to do it!

You can click the white star next to this message if you think it was helpful.