Beginner
GreyMack

Can i replace master socket with B&Q model

[ Edited ]

Hi

I suppose the title says it all but i have been updating all the sockets and switches in my home with the crabtree range from B&Q. Last week i did the secondary phone socket and it went fine.

Yesterday i purchased a master telephone socket - interior from B&Q thinking it would be easy, but as soon as i had a proper look at my master socket in the hall i started to have doubts.

I'm not sure of the master sockets code number but it's a BT openreach type with the front cover which upon removal gives you the main socket.

Below is a link to what i bought, is it possible to replace the mani BT box, is it wise to and is it legal to?

Appologies for not knowing the actual BT socket number, i hope i have supplied enough info. Appreciate any help.

Guru
Devon_Dave

Re: Can i replace master socket with B&Q model

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I am afraid that you cannot replace that openreach socket as it is owned by them.

(If I have helped you in any way to say "Thank You" please click on the star next to the message. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
Beginner
GreyMack

Thanks for the reply Dave

This might sound like a daft question but if you can't replace them why do suppliers sell replacement master sockets?

Guru
Devon_Dave

They obviously dont know the rules and regs regarding that main socket, It is also possible to use that type of phone socket that B and Q sell on internal phone systems where openreach do not have the monopoly.

(If I have helped you in any way to say "Thank You" please click on the star next to the message. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
Beginner
GreyMack

Last daft question :smileyhappy:

Is it not possible to use it even if i requested openreach to officially change it?

Aspiring Expert
Icarus

[ Edited ]

'Last daft question :smileyhappy:

Is it not possible to use it even if i requested openreach to officially change it?'

No, they won't come out and change it. Obviously they can't actually stop you from changing it but be warned if you ever had to call Openreach out for a fault the Engineer would replace it with an NTE5a as they have to per procedure.

Oh, and they may then charge you for having to replace a none standard Openreach NTE.

Beginner
GreyMack

So bottom line i should return it for a refund?

Aspiring Expert
Icarus

Do whatever you want, your house. If you really want to use a different type of NTE/LJU then do it. Just make sure you keep the Openreach one to hand if you ever have to call them out be sure to change it back.

Distinguished Guru
pottyperson

Might be easier to get Banksy to pop in and paint the master to look like the others.

You can click the white star next to this message if you think it was helpful.
Expert
Deathtrap3000

Its not illegal, just against the terms of service. You can rip the socket out, or replace it with a non standard one. If you ever get a fault with it, they may charge if the socket is the cause of the problem.