average_jon
Accepted Solution

Cancelling a landline contract - moving house

Hello,

Apologies if this has been asked a billion times, but i can't seem to find a straight answer from old forum posts nor the BT site...

I need to move out of my current address in the next few weeks as our landlord wishes to move back into the property. I'm going to a new flat, but am in two minds as to whether to get a phone line put in at all, and if so, whether that should be through BT.

I've had a BT line for over 12 months on a 12 month 'renewable' contract. I had assumed that if, after the initial 12 months, i wished to cancel the contract, that it would not incur any cancellation charges. Although having read some of the posts on this forum i'm not so sure... It seems that my contract renewed on 03/09/2010 - does this mean i'm stuck with it until September next year, or have to pay cancellation fees if i don't move the phone line over to my new flat?

Seems an incredibly shady bit of business from BT, especially since i was sent no reminder whatsoever about the contract renewal...

If anyone can shed any light on this i'd greatly appreciate it!

Many thanks,

Jon

Distinguished Guru
Ectophile

Re: Cancelling a landline contract - moving house

You assumed wrong. The point of this contract is that it initially runs for 12 months, and at the end of the 12 months it renews for another 12 months unless you contact BT to cancel it.

In other words, you get only one chance per year to cancel without penalty.
average_jon

Fair enough. Thanks for the clarification. I have actually just found the renewal reminder letter, so my mistake. It's not a massive issue for me as i'll need a phone line in my new flat, but I guess the moral is; careful what you sign-up for and agree to.

Cheers

glyndavies

I wish to cancel my parents' landline as they have moved out of their home into a nursing home. Am getting nowhere on internet or phone numbers. Any advice?

Sage
imjolly

[ Edited ]

@glyndavies   this thread is over a year old but

try the online chat 
http://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact/c/2902/?s_intcid=con_intban_sanda_contact_us_chat_from_forums

if no help then try forum mods  http://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/4951

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
lilley

Please can someone advise.

I really *stupidly* signed up to 18 month contract in august 2012. my relationship ended so moving into shared accommodation. as a couple we had BT essential Bb, vision and. I paid line rental in advance. I know its stupid but I never expected a company with such a good reputation to be so ridged nor of course did I expected that my relationship would end suddenly.
some users have described the BT vision box as an expensive door stop. its worse! I hardly use it now as there are so many extra costs and now I either need to cancel my account or move it BT told me it works out as there£99 to make the box mine - I mean what the hell am I meant to do with it? I can't sell it for more than 9 quid and I can't use it either. i will also have to pay the rest - over £250! its literally a quarter of my wages. any suggestions what I could do to make it either so I can take to new place (problem there is already a sky line and won't be staying any more than yr tops plus with new house its 6 sharing we wous need infinity making me back at square one as its a new contract!?)
or any suggestions other than making a resolution to never ever go into another BT contract what I can do with charges/that **bleep** vision box!