Guru
RogerB

Continuous Repeating Nuisance Phone Calls

We have 2 land line into our place, one business, one residential.

For the past 2 weeks we've been receiving repeated nuisance calls from a number that shows as :

I Googled the number and found an article relating to the number, and literally hundreds of people in UK have been and are being bombarded by this number.

The phone rings ... then when you pick it up, it hangs up.

Some people are saying it originates in Algeria, others say it's a computerised call centre call.

Anybody else suffering?

Can BT do anything to stop these nuisance calls?      :smileymad:

Anything?

Guru
Devon_Dave

Re: Continuous Repeating Nuisance Phone Calls

you could try a couple of things.

1. Register to opt out of cold calling by dialling 0800 028 2272

2. Register for telephone preference service by dialling 0845 0700707

3. Have BTs Choose to Refuse, free for a month then around £2.50 a month.

4. Contact BT Nuisance calls on 0800 661441.

5. Have your number changed free of charge (although this prob won't stop it)

(If I have helped you in any way to say "Thank You" please click on the star next to the message. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
Guru
RogerB

We're already registered on the TPS for unwanted calls ... that doesn't seem to do anything in this instance..  :smileysad:

Distinguished Guru
Ectophile

With a 00 prefix, it's an international line, or somebody spoofing the caller ID to make it look international.
Unfornately, there's nothing that TPS can do about international calls. They will have no authority in whatever country the calls originate from.
The silent line is probably a robot dialler that just keeps dialling numbers. If there's a call centre operator free when you pick up the phone, then they get connected to you. If nobody's free, you just end up listening to silence.
OFCOM are trying to crack down on that practice in this country, but again there's nothing they can do about international calls.
Beginner
alaric

Hi. I just phoned the BT nuisance line as advised above, and was told there's a £25 charge to change our number. Is this a new charge or are there criteria that have to be met for it to be a free number change?

Thanks in advance,

Sean.

Sage
john46

yes it is a new charge that came in last year the post you are on is 2 years old
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Beginner
alaric

Ok thanks. So I'm not going mad, it did used to be something that they considered part of the service.

Thanks for the help.

we_are_but_dust

I too am receiving calls that ring me and never answer when I pick up. The number calling me is displayed as 01234 753072. Very annoying and persistent

Distinguished Guru
pottyperson

we_are_but_dust wrote:

I too am receiving calls that ring me and never answer when I pick up. The number calling me is displayed as 01234 753072. Very annoying and persistent

It's from MoneySave. Cold calls are sometimes computer-generated and turn into silent calls if no operator is free to pick them up. I thought that practice had been stopped.

Register with TPS. That should stop the calls and you can complain to TPS if they continue. TPS quote 28 days for registration to become effective but it's usually far quicker than that.

You can click the white star next to this message if you think it was helpful.
annthedrwhofan

I keep getting those nuisance calls that couses me to go off line when I am doing something importent that need to stay on line, even though I am on wifi. As the numbours that come up who is calling has no relation to any phone numbours i ever heard of. I am hoping that once I am back with BT on 12th this month i get the blocker to stop them. So how do I go about it?