Beginner
HobbitandSmurf

Continuous ring on landline phone?

Hi Guys,

On Tuesday i received a call and instead of "ring ring" it was "ringgggggggg" and would not stop, only way to stop it was to pull phone connection out of socket.

Have plugged phone back in many times and its still stuck on ring.

Have tried 2 different phones with same result.

Have been on the self help BT site and have done everything it suggests but still same problem.

Have done line test which has come back as working.

Have plugged phone directly into wall socket but same result.

Have even replaced the front plate of wall socket (3/4A Master Screw Single Flush LJU).

Broadband and sky still works ok.

Cannot make or recieve calls.

Is there anything else i can try?

Many thanks in advance.

Sage
Keith_Beddoe

Re: Continuous ring on landline phone?

[ Edited ]

Do you pay line rental, calls and broadband costs to BT?

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

Beginner
HobbitandSmurf

I do yes.
Sage
Keith_Beddoe

If you are still getting the problem when the phone is plugged into the "test" socket on your master socket, and there are no other extensions, then it sounds like a faulty exchange line card.

The BT line test wouls not show this up, as it only tests the line. All you can do is to report it to BT as a continuous ring, and they should send someone to the exchange to investigate.

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

Beginner
HobbitandSmurf

Thank you for the reply Keith_Beddoe.

I have now reported the faul to BT.

I will let you know the outcome.

Many thanks again.

Sage
Keith_Beddoe

Its not unknown for the relay in the line card to get stuck, or go faulty, as most of the exchanges are very old now.

I expect that they will probably move you to a different equipment position, if it proves the ringing is coming from the exchange.

BT can actually test towards the exchange, but its not availably on the line test that customers use when they report a fault.

I am sure they will get to the bottom of it :smileywink:

Beginner
HobbitandSmurf

UPDATE:

An engineer is booked for Wed 13 Feb so will let you know the outcome.