Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Do BT use SRJ Debt Recoveries I have a letter from the saying I owe BT money

I have received a letter from SRJ debt recovers, claiming I owe BT money from an address I used to live at. I am curious as to the authenticity of this letter, as I moved the BT account with me when I moved house.

I am also surprised that BT would not make an effort to contact me.

How do I go about find out from BT whether this letter is legitimate.

Many thanks

James Walsh

Contributor

Re: Do BT use SRJ Debt Recoveries I have a letter from the saying I owe BT money

I know BT do use Debt Collection Agencies but it is usually as a very last resort and it does seem odd seen as you have brought your account over to your new house and that BT themselves have made no effort to contact you?

Best thing to do is ring BT Billing on 150 from your land line or 0330 1234 150 from a mobile.

bfg
Aspiring Expert

Re: Do BT use SRJ Debt Recoveries I have a letter from the saying I owe BT money

Hi James,

BT do use  Debt collection agencies.

And, as already answered, this would be the last optin to BT, but if you have moved home, it is possible the previous address (or belive it or not the previous telphone number) may have been receiving all of BT's attempts to recover any outstanding money.

BT may have applied cancelation charges on your last account, which they forgot to mention or (if you moved your BT service) shouldnt have applied. 

Either way the best advice would be as above, contact BT Customer sevrice on 0800 800 150, or raise a complaint via BT.COM (complaints) or contact a  Moderator.

It definatly worth sorting as you dont want a CCJ for a debt you didnt cause.

Goodluck in sorting this.