Beginner
wanoennogs
Accepted Solution

Finding out my phone number

I am moving into a new flat and need to find out the telephone number on the line.  There is a BT socket in the flat but the line is totally dead so I can't find out the number by dialing any codes.  I am 99% certain the previous tenant was with BT.

What is my best way of finding out the number of the line?

Contributor
Titanic

Re: Finding out my phone number

If it's dead then it hasn't got a number or is faulty. All you can do is contact BT Sales and give them the address, they can then check to see if openreach have a routing designated to it, which may be allocated to BT or another Service Provider. Can you contact the previous tenant and ask who supplied service and the number, and what they requested to be done STOPPED or CEASED when they vacated the premises.

Beginner
wanoennogs

Thank you for your reply.

Are you saying if I plug a phone into the socket then regardless of whether the line is active or not I should get some sort of tone?  And if there is no tone then line has either been ceased/stopped or there is a fault? If the line does not have a fault should I be able to dial 17070 to find out the number associated with the line? No idea who previous tenant is so unable to find out much info. I am not even sure if the previous tenant had the line active.  I will try a different phone just to make sure it was not my phone at fault.

To find out who my previous gas and electricity suppliers was just a phone call away.  I simply game my address and postcode and then was told who the previous supplier was.  Is there anything similar for the phone industry?  

Sage
john46

if there is NO DIAL TONE then the line is ceased and you will need to contact bt and arrange for a new line if you can hear a tone then try 17070 and get the number but the line may not have been with bt all bt could do in that case is tell you the line was not theres
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Distinguished Guru
Ectophile

BT tend to leave lines connected for a while.  However they may also disconnect the line in order to free up capacity.  Once the line has been disconnected, it has no number.

Beginner
wanoennogs

I have tested the line with a second phone I know works.  I still have no dial tone.  So I guess the line has been ceased or there is a fault on the line.

Any idea how much it will cost me to get the line working again?

Sage
john46

new line install is approx £130.00
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’