Expert
notoriousdbp

Hidden charge - not happy

Just had my monthly bill and there's a charge on it I didn't know I would have.  I've been a customer of BT since 1996 and currently have phone, broadband option 2 and BT Vision with Sky Sports so I'm already paying 57 quid a month before making any calls and am signed up to a 2 yeat contract so I would consider myself a loyal customer.

Anyway, to my point.  On this months bill was a charge of £2.59 for Caller Display which I shouldn't be charged for with it being free as part of BT Privacy.  The reason for this charge is because I haven't made at least 2 chargeable calls in the month.

To be honest, given the number of services I have with BT and the fact I have recommended people to BT in the past this is a bit of a slap in the face.  I've rung billing and to be fair the gentleman I spoke to has refunded this charge on this occasion.

I am pretty disgusted given the number of services I have from BT - am I not paying enough money each month or something?  It ain't good enough quite frankly.  I've never seen anything saying I would be charged this and it's pretty underhand in my opinion.  Not happy and very disappointed.

---Remember to mark as 'solved' and give stars when you like a post---
Expert
hamish72

Re: Hidden charge - not happy

[ Edited ]

• Inclusive Features *

BT Answer 1571 voicemail – The call return feature will not be available if the person leaving the message has chosen to withhold their number or if the call was from an international number. Customers who use Call Barring should note that calls to 1571 will be barred under outgoing Call Barring option 1, this is because calling 1571 may lead to a chargeable call. A facility fee of 16.5p, will also be charged for the call set up attempt.

Some social alarm and burglar alarm equipment may not be compatible with BT Answer 1571. Please check with your supplier.

Customers who do not make chargeable or inclusive calls with BT will be charged for BT Answer 1571 standard service. Customers who are billed monthly must make at least two chargeable or inclusive calls with BT in that month (excludes calls made with BT Broadband Talk) or BT will charge (incl. VAT) £1 a month for the standard BT Answer 1571 service. Customers who are billed quarterly must make at least six chargeable or inclusive calls with BT within that quarter or BT will charge (incl. VAT) £3 a quarter.

Price comparisons based on monthly calling feature rental charges: Sky Voicemail Plus with remote access – £2.50 per month; Talk Talk Voicemail Plus with remote access – £2.50 per month (£2.00 if taking 2+ calling features); Virgin Media Voicemail Plus – £2.00 per month (£1.75 if taking 2+ calling features).

BT 1471 – Dialling BT 1471 without using Call Return is free. The Call Return feature of BT 1471 costs a fixed fee of 16.5p. The fee will apply when you press 3 to return your last caller's call. This charge applies whether or not the call is connected.

If you don't want your number to be obtained through Caller Display or Call Return (1471), dial 141 before making your call. 1471 cannot disclose the number if the number is withheld, unavailable or the call came from a switchboard extension number.

BT Privacy at Home – **Customers who do not make some chargeable calls with BT will be charged for BT Caller Display. Customers who are billed every three months must make at least six chargeable calls within those three months, otherwise BT reserves the right to charge £7.77 a quarter (customers who are billed monthly must make at least 2 chargeable calls a month otherwise will be charged £2.59 a month). Customers with other call providers can benefit from BT Caller display at no extra cost by making the minimum chargeable called described above (to make one-off chargeable calls to your BT bill dial 1280 before the phone number you wish to call) or switch your calls back to BT.

BT residential customers making some calls on the BT network can opt in to receive Caller Display for free, subject to availability. Analogue lines only. Caller Display equipment required. Numbers will not be registered if the call is from payphones; some switchboards; non-BT networks; or where a caller's number is withheld.

Allow 28 days for activation of Telephone Preference Service. Terms and conditions apply. You can find out more about the Telephone Preference Service at http://www.tpsonline.org.uk.

• Calling Pack Features

Caller Display – Caller Display cannot disclose the number if the number is withheld or unavailable. Caller Display equipment is required. Caller Display requires a compatible phone, (available at BT Shop online or from other suppliers). Numbers will not be displayed if the call is from payphones, some switchboards, non-BT network or where a caller's number is withheld.

• Additional Features

Call Minder – Call Minder cannot identify a number if the number if withheld or unavailable. Some social alarm and burglar alarm equipment may not be compatible with BT Call Minder. Please check with your supplier.

Anonymous Call Reject – Anonymous Call Reject will not bar incoming calls when the number is 'unavailable' (when the caller has not made any attempt to withhold their number). This can happen in a number of cases, like, for example, if the call originates from an overseas provider.

Already with us?

See how you can get more from your phone line:

• View or change your Calling Plan
  • Add Calling Features
  • Get an extra line
  • Bring your calls back to BT

If any post helps tick the star box on the left
Just cause Im paranoid dont mean they are not out to get me

Expert
notoriousdbp

Re: Hidden charge - not happy

OK, I get that it's in the T's & C's.  However it does say that BT reserves the right to charge rather than will charge for quarterly billed customers while for monthly billed customers it would appear not to be optional.  How is that fair?  If I only had my phone line from them and nothing else then fair enough but the volume of services I and many others have from BT makes this additional charge seem a bit like penny pinching to be honest.

---Remember to mark as 'solved' and give stars when you like a post---