Singh009

How can I get BT socket to distinguish between phone & fax?

I  need to plug a phone and fax into the same wall socket, but the fax machine (it's actually a multi-function printer with fax) doesn't auto switch between voice and fax.  I fear I'll have to constantly and quickly jump to the fax/printer to make sure I don't miss a fax.

Is there anything that can sit between the socket and phone and fax/printer, that will automatically send the call to the right device - send a voice call to the phone and fax to the fax machine?

I'd be really grateful for any help.

Thanks.

Aspiring Expert
Icarus

Re: How can I get BT socket to distinguish between phone & fax?

No there isn't a device that does what you're asking.

If someone rings you, you would need to answer the phone before the fax does otherwise the caller will just hear a dial up modem type noise.

This is why most companies, well those who still do faxes have a dedicated line for them.

Guru
Devon_Dave

Re: How can I get BT socket to distinguish between phone & fax?

[ Edited ]

Some fax machines have a built in faxswitch, you would plug your phone into the fax machine. A call comes in, the machine answers the call, if it is not a fax it will ring the phone plugged into the machine. If it is a fax it will get printed out.

A quick google found stand alone fax switches (amazon?) for around £49

(If I have helped you in any way to say "Thank You" please click on the star next to the message. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.