gingiecat
Accepted Solution

How much does it cost for BT to move the Master Socket ?

I am trying to get an idea of the proice BT would charge to move an internal master socket to a new location. My neighbour is in her eighties and needs to have her master socket moved as it is located where a new fireplace is going to be installed. Its a standard master socket and she doesn't have broadband access. She will need to have it completely removed and relocated,  we cannot resolve by just running an extension from it to the new location. Does anyone know how much BT will charge to do this ?  Or is there a foolproof way of doing this yourself or should we leave well alone.  I think what needs to happen is for a new length of cable to be run fom her outdoor box on the wall and then come in through the wall in the lounge from the outside as otherwise the cable will be going over door frames.  Thanks for any advice

Sage
Keith_Beddoe

Re: How much does it cost for BT to move the Master Socket ?

[ Edited ]

Its Openreach that would do this work, but you would have to arrange this through your service provider.

The normal charge is about £130. You are not allowed to do this work yourself.

Does she pay BT for her line rental and phone calls?

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

Guru
Webby

Yep, it's £130 call out charge. Then £75 per extension you want added if any.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
gingiecat

Yes she is a BT Customer is on one of the free call packages where you pay a fixed monthly fee and then most calls are free

Sage
Keith_Beddoe

gingiecat wrote:

Yes she is a BT Customer is on one of the free call packages where you pay a fixed monthly fee and then most calls are free

Then you will have to contact BT, who will arrange for Openreach to do the work.

You can try Live Chat  or telephone 0800 800 150 and someone should be able to help.

If you get nowhere, could you please return here, and we can find someone who can help.

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.