Beginner
RBar

How to (re)connect extension sockets from BT Infinity Master socket

Since BT Infinity was installed, with new master socket (in bedroom, so I run my broadband connections via mains electricity circuit to various computers and BTVision box, using TP-Link) my telephone extensions, serial sockets (all phones are on these), have acted up.  They ring once on incoming calls, then cut out. Outgoing calls (and incoming if answered quickly) are crackly. My extension circuits run under the floor (some floor areas wooded or tiles since, not really accessible). I note that there are only 3 connectors (2,3 and 5) for the extension circuit, and on re-connection on fitting Infinity, the BT Engineer has used only 2 & 5 (ignoring 3, orange, ringer??) and has used the green/white wire pairing - I would have expected the blue/white pairing to be used.  What should this be? There is no fault in the line (phone works if I remove Master face and plug in to test socket, ignoring the extension circuit).  I can't tell whether there is a fault in how the extension is wired, or somewhere in the circuits themselves.  Any advice?  If I was going to start over and put in new wiring for extensions from this master socket, how would I connect it?

RB

Guru
Devon_Dave

Re: How to (re)connect extension sockets from BT Infinity Master socket

Hi and welcome to the forum

If the green/ green whites have been used there could be a fault on the blue wires hence the change out.

The orange wire on 3 is no longer used with the later phones as the ringing circuit is installed in each phone all tho some early phones (1990s) may not ring.

This can normally be solved by the addition of an ADSL filter as these also have a ringing circuit installed.

It does not really matter what coulurs are used for an extension wiring as long as the wiring colours match up at both master and extension.

As an example from master ro extension.

2>green wire>2

5>green/white wire>5

(If I have helped you in any way to say "Thank You" please click on the star next to the message. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
Beginner
RBar

The extensions were already wired in (and working fine) long before the BT engineer upgraded us to BT infinity and at that time changed the master socket. He must have elected to use the green wire pairs - as I say, I would have expected the blue pair to be used.  I guess I need to go round the extension sockets and check which wire colours go to which terminals there - but the BT engineer only accessed the master socket, after which the line (internal) developed the intermittant problem. So - confirming, normally it would be blue to terminal 2, and white (blue ring) to terminal 5 (I am aware the orange is no longer required).

Can I take phone extensions from the master socket by plugging in (with a standard BT plug) a cable to an extension socket, as in a DIY extension kit available in hardware shops, then add (serially) further extension sockets from the first? I am thinking to reconnect my extensions in this way (rather than wiring in to the back of the master socket), then test them.  My problem is I can't access under floor in some parts of the house since some floors have been tiled or wood-laminated since the extension circuits were put in, but I would like to tap back in to the "end" of that circuit with an alternate connection to the master.  I can disconnect extension sockets - working back from the furthest in series, and maybe find where the fault is.  However I suspect there are some branches in the circuit (would that have worked, or must they all be serial?).

Distinguished Guru
pottyperson

Have you considered DECT phones?

You can click the white star next to this message if you think it was helpful.
Aspiring Expert
Reed_Richards

You never  wire in to the "back of the master socket", always the front faceplate.

If the engineer used the green wire pair at the Master Socket and your extensions work, even badly, then it would seem that the green wire pair had already been used at your extensions or they would not work at all - you really should check the extension socket wiring before you invest in new wires.

Although conventionally the blue wire pair is used, you can use any two wires you like so long as you connect the same wire to the same terminal at each end.  It is better for your broadband to use one of the three wire pairs but the filter in your infinity Master Socket is so good that it may not matter

If you don't want to use cordless phones (you can have several phones with only one needing to be connected to a phone socket) you can use the DIY extension kits.  These can be bad for your broadband as they often do not use twisted-pair wiring but you have an excellent broadband filter.  The same goes for branches. 

Beginner
RBar

I meant the front faceplate - as opposed to plugging in to the socket.  Care to comment on taking the extensions circuit from the socket (by plugging in) rather than from the faceplate?

Aspiring Expert
Reed_Richards

Read the last paragraph of my previous reply.