Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Contributor
Accepted Solution

Junction box

Can someone help with this please. I have a grey junction box at the point where BT wiring enters the house. On the right of this is the wiring to the master socket. On the left of the junction box, in addition to the external wiring, is the wiring to an extension socket in another room. I read that this is the wrong way to add extensions. It was done many years ago by BT. Would this be causiing any noise problems which might affect my broadband speed. If so am I allowed to remove the extension wiring myself or does this have to be done by BT and is it chargeable.

Junction.jpg

Distinguished Sage

Re: Junction box

that couild well be causing noise on your broadband conenction  that is property of openreach  up to you what you do

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Contributor

Are you saying that I can safely cut the extension wiring or would I have to pay for Openreach to do it. Also, the orange wire inside the junction box, is that a bell wire which can be removed by myself. There is a grey round junction box outside the house so does BT property end at this outside box or is the internal jnction box also their property? I thought everything up to the mastersocket was their property? Thanks again

Guru

Every wire and connection block upto and including the main socket is the responsibility of Openreach and only they can touch/alter/remove.

(If I have helped you in any way to say "Thank You" please click on the star next to the message. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
Contributor

SO that would include the old GPO junction box, yes? If this was removed by BT would it improve ADSL speed or not?

Aspiring Expert

The old junction box will not upset your broadband.  The cable running off it to your telephone extension might.  I think in principle this extension belongs to BT but I doubt that in practise you would ever get them to acknowledge responsibility for it.  If you wanted to eliminate it you could cut the wire as it emerges from the old junction box - except that some may suggest that legally you cannot do this.

Contributor

Thanks for that. I've opened up the junction box and the wires are joined by some jelly things! Only two pairs of wires are joined. Is this what's known as star wiring? In this case cutting them might upset the whole system? Best leave them alone I think. As you say BT are hardly likely to admit to owning them! AH well......

Distinguished Sage

you need Openreach with this one call BT faults on 151 and ask for an engineer i think it will be chargeable but as Devon_Dave has posted it is there responsibility and should not be tamped with
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Distinguished Sage

are the extension wires conencted to the incoming bt wires or the other outgoing wires to the master?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Aspiring Expert

Your extension wiring can sometimes act like a radio aerial and the radio signals it picks up interfere with your broadband.  Star wiring or T-wiring is particularly prone to this and this is what you have by virtue of your extension.  On the other hand, if your extension is wired with twisted-pair cable (like the telephone input cable) then it should be okay.  Did BT/GPO use twisted-pair in the days when they wired telephone extensions anyone?