Beginner
EdScratcher

My Landline is Dead but the internet works !

Hi, I am having trouble with my phone... it doesn't work. I have tried an old phone in the main socket and there is no dial-tone. However My internet works perfectly... I used  my Mobile to report the fault and when I eventually reached the automated lady she told me they were very busy... I hung up after 25 mins. Any Ideas please.

Aspiring Contributor
gilbery

Re: My Landline is Dead but the internet works !

im having the same problem but also with slow broadband and i can affoerd the engineer bill need help !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aspiring Expert
champ1970

Hi, i'm an Openreach engineer and it sounds like you have a disconnection fault on your line... this means one of the 2 wires your phone line works on has broken... broadband can still work on one wire ( depending on which one breaks ) however your phone line cannot.... if you have tried another phone in test socket and still no dial tone, then try reporting via the BT.com site.... hope this helps

Beginner
EdScratcher

thanks Champ1970....

I Don't really want to go inside the landline box on the wall...TOO many wires for me...but I have left a message for SeanB the Moderator of this site with my Number and Acc. Number hoping that he would (grace me a favour).....here's hoping...because I can't use my Mobile like that....Surely BT could have a simple to use number/line checker...click here sort of thing... Thanks again

Guru
Devon_Dave

As mentioned by the openreach guy if you go to www.bt.com/faults you can run a line test. You would need to check into the test socket to check as BT are only responsible for the line upto and including this main socket.

Just be carefull when you remove the front plate.

It's worth doing the check, it could save you £127.99

(If I have helped you in any way to say "Thank You" please click on the star next to the message. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
pablogp

Hi,

I have a similar issue. My broadband is working fine but my telephone does not seem to be working. When I call the landline from my mobile it rings but when I try and make a call from the landline there is no dialtone. I try to plug the telephone directly to the socket but there is still no dialtone. I try plugging it into another socket in another room in the flat but yet there is still no dialtone. I have requested an engineer to come and take a look but I am scared that they may charge the 128 pounds.

Does anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Beginner
basod

Exact same issue - broadband works but landline is dead. I didn't notice for a fortnight...

Here's hoping my broadband speed will get back to what its use to be otherwise im switching isp.

mandgate

Often due to damage to the outside cable. In my case, the black outer sheathing was worn away in several places, exposing the 2 inner wires, one of which was affected by the extra weight of snow cutting off my phone line. There was no dialing tone – just ‘white noise’ – my phone even rung, so I knew there was nothing wrong with the ring circuit. BT have responsibility for anything beyond the main socket box (their ‘kit’).

If you still have connectivity you can check the line via the Internet. However, my line test indicated an ‘internal fault’, which turned out to be incorrect.  I wanted to speak to a real person and went to a call box to report the fault (calls are not free from mobile phones – and you don’t know how long you’ll be waiting). Press ‘2’ to connect to an operator, otherwise it’s all automated. Yes, it sounds alarming to be told it may cost £130 or £160, or whatever – but operators are speaking from a script. I was even sent a text message to confirm possible charges. But by that point I didn’t care – I just wanted my landline restored.

I did the basic test: took out filters, splitters, adaptors, etc and plugged in another phone to the main socket (existing phone will have to do if you don’t have an old one). I checked for a dialing tone - nothing but white noise, so I thought chances are there’s a problem with the cable beyond the box (therefore BT’s responsibility) . Friction against tree branches caused the damage – but sometimes squirrels chew cables...

It took 4 days from time of reporting to get an engineer, but each member of BT staff I dealt with was helpful, courteous and informative. Fault fixed – landline back. Good luck!

Sage
john46

Hi mandgate a useful post but unfortunately you have replied to a post that is now nearly a year old
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’