Beginner
rachelrogers74

My Phone says 'No Line' & is not receiving any incoming or outgoing calls

Hi

Our BT Landline Phone has been working fine for over 6 months.  We get up this morning to the words 'No Line' on the BT handset with no dial tone and no calls coming in or being able to make any calls out.  We did nothing to any of the lines or handset from yesterday to today.

I've phoned BT and they tested the line and said it was fine and then hung up on me. 

I've looked in the Graphite 2100 Home Phone handbook that came with the phone, and there's nothing about the message 'No Line'.  

I've turned all of our broadband hub off and on again and checked all wires are properly in.

Can anyone help me with what may be wrong?  Thank you so much for any help you can provide.  Am at a loss?

Best regards.

Rachel

Sage
imjolly

Re: My Phone says 'No Line' & is not receiving any incoming or outgoing calls

have you tried from the test socket to eliminate any internal problems  test socket.jpg

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
newcastle_centre

Afraid I can't offer any help, however you are not alone!

In have exactly the same problem and it's not the first time...

My landline was working fine upto yesterday morning when I recived an odd phone call aparently to a 'wrong number'.

Later in the day I went to make a phone call and discovered the line was dead. I did all the checks suggested in the so called 'self help' section of the faults section on the website. The online check I did reckons there is nothing wrong with the line. What is more, my broadband is fine!

When I phoned BT all I got was an automated system. I emailed BT last night and they didn't get back to me until tonight. They then read a statement to me which basically says that if the fault is inside my house, it will cost me £99 pounds. My worry is that this system is open to abuse by BT, surely it would be very easy for them to claim the problem is in the house even if it isn't...

I now have to wait for an appointment (the earliest was next Tuesday) for an engineer to come out, even though this has happened before and it was found to be a fault at an external junction box, so the engineer didn't even have to enter my house. The engineer told me is a the fault with the main junction box (on the street)common problem... When I questioned why an engineer couldn't come out earlier, the person from BT admitted that they 'always have a backlog'

I'm astounded at the way BT operates these days....

Sage
john46

have you tried using the test socket as that will eliminate any internal wiring and remove the chance of any charge
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Expert
conrad

Try turning the handset off then on again - this apparently works sometimes

Beginner
rachelrogers74

Hi, thank you so much for your post and for reassuring me that I wasn't the only one out there.  I do hope that the engineer comes soon to fix your very soon and you get everything resolved.

Well, I did the self-test checks on my line using the BT website steps, over the weekend, and the outcome I received was that it was not a problem with our wiring but a problem with the BT network.

So I have again phoned them this morning and they've run a second check on our line and now say that 'oh, it is a fault on the line'.  Why the hell didn't it show up last week?!

Anyway, they have now raised it as a fault on the line and are saying it should be fixed by Thursday, 13th June - hopefully.  

They have directed my phone to my mobile but the hugely frustrating thing, which I think is really rubbish, is that there is no-way I can access my voicemails from any other phone than the landline which I can't use.  So all the voicemails I received for the last 3 days I cannot access!

Also, will they refund the time I've been without a phone.  I don't think so, as when I've tried to do this once or twice in the past, they've made it as difficult as possible, or promised to do it and then it never comes through on the bill.  

Guru
Devon_Dave

rachelrogers74 wrote:

Also, will they refund the time I've been without a phone.  I don't think so, as when I've tried to do this once or twice in the past, they've made it as difficult as possible, or promised to do it and then it never comes through on the bill.  

BT will refund any line rental that you would have paid if your line has not been repaired by the end of the 3rd working day from when the fault was entered on the system.

However as your line has been diverted to your mobile I believe that you cannot claim this rebate.

(If I have helped you in any way to say "Thank You" please click on the star next to the message. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
Beginner
rachelrogers74

Thank you Dave. But I would say my frustration still continues, as

1) I cannot access voicemails that were left for 3 days midday Fri to midday Mon on my landline, until my landline is fixed

2) I originally told BT of the problem on Friday, 7th June.  It is now Tuesday and there is no update ie my line is still broken and no engineer has been in contact, so I believe the earliest it will be fixed is tomorrow or Thursday.  Much more than 3 days 'outside the what we're told we should expect', wait time.

3) The customer service person I spoke with originally telling me that there was no fault on the line and then just putting the phone down on me.

This is not good customer service.

Sage
john46

Openreach will investigate a fault within 3 working days however depending on the type of fault or its complexity it may take longer to be repaired
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’