jambosee

NEW BT INSTALLATION AND PROBLEMS WITH SERVICE. BT CUSTOMER SERVICE BEEN NO HELP SO FAR.

THE PROBLEM
Hi there, this is quite complicated but I will try and explain it as best as I can...hope someone can help!

I have been a TalkTalk customer for a few years but recently decided I'd like BT Vision so I decided to have a new BT line installed and to keep my TalkTalk service running as well, on the socket that I originally had (obviously)

The BT engineer came to install my new socket and seemed to have some problems, it took him over an hour.

When the engineer had left, I tried to make a call from the new socket and realised it was completely dead (no dial tone)

I then realised that the socket which I had been using for my TalkTalk service originally was now connected to BT along with

my new phone number which I thought was strange because the new socket that had been installed was dead.

So now I am receiving calls and my broadband from BT but it is on the socket which should be TalkTalk and the socket that
should actually be BT is dead.

THE WIRING
This is where this could get complicated lol. I unscrewed both the sockets which are BT Openreach NTE5 master
sockets

WORKING SOCKET
SLOT A HAS A YELLOW WIRE COMING FROM IT WHICH GOES INTO A SMALL ROUND RED THING (SITUATED IN NEW SOCKET) AND THEN HAS AN ORANGE/WHITE WIRE LEAVING THE RED THING WHICH GOES INTO THE MAIN TELEPHONE WIRE.

SLOT B HAS A BLUE WIRE COMING FROM IT WHICH GOES INTO A ROUND RED THING (SEPERATE ON FROM THE ONE MENTIONED ABOVE) AND THEN HAS A WHITE/ORANGE WIRE LEAVING THE RED THING WHICH GOES INTO THE MAIN TELEPHONE WIRE.

NOT WORKING SOCKET
BLUE WITH WHITE WIRE CONNECTED INTO SLOT A
WHITE WITH BLUE WIRE CONNECTED INTO SLOT B
GREEN WITH WHITE WIRE NOT BEING USED
WHITE WITH GREEN WIRE NOT BEING USED
ORANGE WITH WHITE WIRE CONNECTED THROUGH RED THING GOING INTO WORKING SOCKET SLOT A
WHITE WITH ORANGE WIRE CONNECTED THROUGH RED THING GOING INTO WORKING SOCKET SLOT A

QUESTIONS
I just need to know....
A)If there anything that I can do to sort this problem myself, like does it sound or look like an issue with the wiring?

B)Is there any danger of electric shock when doing this and if there is, how can I prevent this?

C)Why is the working socket connected to the other one using a yellow wire and a blue wire, I would have though this was
only the case if this was an extension I had installed, but it's not, it was a whole new service and telephone number

I appreciate any help at all anyone can give me.

Cheers

J

Below: Old socket and wiring

old original socket wiring

Below: New socket and wiring

new installed socket wiring

Sage
john46

Re: NEW BT INSTALLATION AND PROBLEMS WITH SERVICE. BT CUSTOMER SERVICE BEEN NO HELP SO FAR.

Hi welcome to the forums

I would suggest contacting BT Faults on 0800800151 and reporting the fault to them
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Guru
Devon_Dave

Re: NEW BT INSTALLATION AND PROBLEMS WITH SERVICE. BT CUSTOMER SERVICE BEEN NO HELP SO FAR.

The incoming lines are coming in to your premises via the multi cable,

The 1st pair of wires is the blue/blue white

The 2nd pair of wires is the orange/orange white, as there was not enough slack on the orange/orange white to terminate the 2nd line he has extended it with a piece of jumper wire joined with grease filled crimps,

I suspect that the 2 lines are in contact somewhere to get it sorted you will need to get back to the dept that organised the line.

(If I have helped you in any way to say "Thank You" please click on the star next to the message. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.