shaymo73

New Build connection

Could somebody please help me sort out a working phone line for my new house, which I'm due to move into on 19/10/12?

I am currently with and intending to remain with Sky for my TV, broadband and phone line as I get a good package. Apparently Sky are able to connect my TV service straight away, however they can't sort out my phone line or broadband until my address is registered on the Openreach database??

After visiting the house today and talking to the site manager he informs me that cable exists from the main exchange into my house and in my house to the various phone points, however a box or connection of some sort is needed to connect the two cables together?

I don't know if Sky can do this or not, but I do know that I do NOT want to end up being tied into a 12 month line rental contract with BT, as I want my phone line to be provided by Sky.

From looking at the other postings on this site anyone who has moved into a new development has been through a nightmare trying to get this sorted, so I want to ensure I do exactly the right thing now and don't end up waiting months and getting really angry with the whole situation.

Firstly, how do I ensure my house is registered on the Openreach database? Allegedly Sky can't do anything to connect the phone line until my house appears on this database?

Secondly, I have contacted Royal Mail to ensure my house has a postcode and is listed on their website. From reading other comments it appears the open reach database wont show my house if it isn't on the Royal Mail postcode checker, is this correct?

Please, please, please could you help me to ensure this process is sorted out with the minimum of hassle? I'm severely disabled and rely heavily on having phone contact in case I urgently need medical help and my mobile signal is non-existent, so a landline phone is paramount to my health and safety.

I would appreciate direct contact to my email if possible and not to be passed around to different people, eventually getting nowhere fast!!

PLEASE help!!
Distinguished Guru
pottyperson

Re: New Build connection

This is essentially a self-help forum for BT Retail customers and posts do not automatically get the attention of any BT staff. It's Openreach that provide telephone lines, and the relationship between them and BT Retail is the same as it is for Sky or any other telecoms provider. That is required by Ofcom despite Openreach being a BT company.

As all your services will be provided by Sky, they will have to organise your new line.

You can click the white star next to this message if you think it was helpful.
shaymo73

Thank you so much for your dismissive remark. Your care and consideration for my predicament couldn't have been treated worse if you tried, hence I wouldn't touch BT or any of its services with a very long barge pole.

I hope one day you find yourself severely disabled, confused and worried about not being able to get medical help in an emergency because someone couldn't be bothered to offer a little advice.

Thanks for nothing.
Distinguished Guru
pottyperson

I'm not a BT employee, just a customer trying to help you onto the right track. Sorry I was unable to change the world for you. Maybe Sky will.

shaymo73

How about you mind your own business if you're not a BT employee, as my message was clearly addressed to BT. If you can't be civil and clearly find it difficult not to be rude I suggest you find another forum to interfere on and stop commenting on things you have no official right or knowledge of
Distinguished Guru
pottyperson

Hopefully someone else will be along to confirm what I told you in terms that you find acceptable.

It will not be productive to turn this into a debate, but I would like you to understand something about me. I spent half my working life with disabled people and learned to see beyond disability and respond as far as possible as I would to anybody. I don't pat heads; I don't unnecessarily communicate through a third party; I don't put negative responses in a patronising wrapper; I don't look the other way. I'm now retired but still have occasional contact with those I worked with, and my approach serves them and me well. But no one can please all the people all the time.

Guru
Devon_Dave

Hi

I am sorry you are having an issue with your sky phone line, I can confirm what PP has said this forum is for BT Retail customers who are having problems with their Phone, Broadband, BT Vision, Mobile BB and Billing. It is a customer to customer forum. The mission statement on the home page states as such

"This is where customers help each other get the most out of BT products & services. If you need direct help from BT or have an urgent problem please Contact Us "

Can I suggest you contact Sky HERE// who can contact openreach to hopefully sort out your problem.

I too am a BT Retail customer and not an employee of BT.

(If I have helped you in any way to say "Thank You" please click on the star next to the message. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
Distinguished Guru
DS

shaymo73 wrote:snipped
I hope one day you find yourself severely disabled, confused and worried about not being able to get medical help

Having had to learn to walk again, I find your comment above one of the worst I've ever read.

I would never wish anyone to become disabled.

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
Sage
john46

Likewise DS I have been in a Wheelchair being paralysed from the waist down for over 20 years I find the posters comments extremely offensive as has been posted this is a customer to customer self help forum PP gave very good and correct advise and there is no need for such an insulting response
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Guru
toekneem

shaymo73 wrote:
Could somebody please help me sort out a working phone line for my new house, which I'm due to move into on 19/10/12?

I am currently with and intending to remain with Sky for my TV, broadband and phone line as I get a good package. !!

PLEASE help!!

In that case please get in contact with SKY. BT Retail Cannot help you.

As for your other comments in other posts, there might be some herberts on this forum ; http://helpforum.sky.com/ who might and I say might help you. But I would be a bit more polite though.:smileywink:

toekneem
http://www.no2nuisancecalls.net

(EASBF)