Ciz
Beginner
Ciz

No caller ID

I received my BT home hub and phone 2.0 on Monday and stored numbers in the contact list. When someone calls my landline number the caller ID doesnt work and it just says unavailable, yet when someone calls my broadband talk number it shows who is calling.

The main number I will be using is my landline number and I would really like caller ID to work! I called BT and explained the problem and was told this was a fault, the caller ID should work for both numbers. However the only thing they said I could do was to try another handset and see if it works! After explaining to them 4 times that I do not have another handset and I do not want to buy another handset just to see if the caller ID will work, I gave up! I have read through the user guides but not got a clue what to do!

Does anyone have any ideas how I can fix it??

Contributor
Titanic

Re: No caller ID

You need to have Caller Display activated on your landline number for this to work. There is an additional monthly payment for this facility, or as part of a Calling Features Pack.

Aspiring Expert
Linda_Smith

Titanic wrote:

You need to have Caller Display activated on your landline number for this to work. There is an additional monthly payment for this facility, or as part of a Calling Features Pack.

That's not my experience - I don't pay for caller display on my landline, but all incoming calls on the landline that have a number available to display, display on my hub phone and on my hub registered DECT phones. (Hub v1 with v1 phone and a pair of BT DECT phones) - I've just checked my landline calling features to be sure and Caller Display is not ticked. I'm on Evening and Weekend plan for landline. (And Anytime for BTBBTalk).  Hub registered phones are set to ring on all calls to whichever line. I have three other old cord phones connected direct to the landline.

I get the number displayed, or the name if I have already got that number in the phone address book, or "International" or "Unavailable" if the number is witheld.

My broadband secrets and tips
Guru
Devon_Dave

[ Edited ]

Caller display is free, It's part of BTs "Privacy at home" whereby you get Caller display as well as being subscribed to the Telephone preference scheme, it is "free" providing you make a certain amout of calls each month via BT.

Problems with caller display can sometimes be caused by a faulty ADSL filter or a modem/router, I suggest you disconnect all equipment or plug directly into the BT test socket, you could also try *#234# and then listen to see if caller display is active

The reason they suggest to try another phone is that if an engineer calls and proves it to be a problem in your premises you would get a £128 call out charge.

(If I have helped you in any way to say "Thank You" please click on the star next to the message. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
Dynamic2

Am I missing something here? why cannot you plug your hub phone direct into your landline to check your caller display?
Ciz
Beginner
Ciz

[ Edited ]

Thanks for all help so far, I do not want to be charged £128 for an engineer to come out! I have disconnected it all and that didnt work so I tried through another ADSL filter but no luck so far. I dont seem to have any wires to plug the phone directly into the phone socket, it only connects through the hub. Can I do a reset on the phone? Or will it have reset anyway when I disconnected it all?

I also tried calling *#234# but it says this service is unavailable please hang up.