Beginner
phoneproblems

No dial tone but phone rings and when I answer I hear the phone ringing!

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I'm one of the many trying to avoid the ridiculous call-out charge for problems that are inside the property.

We've had the same problem solidly for a couple of weeks:

1. No dial tone

2. The phone rings when there is an incoming call

3. When you answer the phone, you hear a soft muffled phone ringing rather than the person trying to call you!

4. Outgoing calls cannot be made.

Our broadband works fine.  Same issues with another handset.  Tested the master socket and still no dial tone. 

Any ideas about what the problem is would be massively appreciated as it would obviously be good to ascertain whether it's on or off the property before we incur charges.  Any suggestions about what else we could test?

Many thanks in advance

Guru
Devon_Dave

Re: No dial tone but phone rings and when I answer I hear the phone ringing!

[ Edited ]

Hi, it does sound that you have a high resitance on your phone line. If you can locate your main phone socket as per this photo and plug a known working corded phone into the test socket.

imagesCAIIBPUE.jpg

If you still have the problem the fault lies with openreach, contact your comms provider (if its BT call 151 ) or 0330 123 4151 from a mobile.

They will prob get you to undertake the same test.

(If I have helped you in any way to say "Thank You" please click on the star next to the message. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
Beginner
AnHa

I have the exact same issue at the moment.

It happened also a couple of years ago where an engineer came out and discovered part of the cable had been damaged exterior to my property. He explained that there are two types of lines 1 in and 1 out bound hence why I still had inbound calls (not that I could answer them!) and it was only part of it damaged (old and eroded if I remember correctly). Last time he fixed the issue really quickly, hoping same issue this time! Awaiting a text re engineer coming out...

Beginner
phoneproblems

[ Edited ]

Dave - thanks for your help. 

Following your suggestion I also tried it with a corded phone - same outcome as the cordless phones: no dial tone and odd ringing when I 'answer' it.  Oddly, when I then plugged my original phone back in and called it, it flashed that there was an incoming call but has now ceased to ring, but same noise when I answered it.  Not sure whether that is significant...

Sounds like a job for an engineer.  At least I've tried - thanks again

AnHa - bad luck!  Thanks for your post, glad to hear your problem was outside of your boundary.  Fortunately my line goes straight off my property so fingers crossed...Hope you get yours sorted again soon.  BT comms are THE most frustrating.

Contributor
fungalpis

It's a BT line fault - don't listen to their suggestions otherwise - they are all lies and smoke screens. BT are responsible for fixing the fault because it is a BT OPENREACH line.
Sage
john46

@fungalpis Openreach operate as a separate company and provide an equal level of service to all providers BT Retail get no preference under OFCOM rules this link explains more http://www.expect.openreach.co.uk/faqs/
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Beginner
phoneproblems

[ Edited ]

It has finally been sorted (it all got delayed after numerous back and forths to BT and then I was away so had to re-open the fault). 

Once I re-opened it and was confident that it wasn't our phone, i.e. had tried with 3 different handsets, and once I ignored the multiple warnings of huge costs, the fixed it remotely within the day!  They told me it would be fixed by the 12th but just had an email saying it should be working and it is.  I've no idea what was wrong with it but someone somewhere pushed a button.  Hopefully if you're the same symptoms and have tested it with different handsets then you'll be glad to know it can be fixed easily.

Thanks for all the comments

* slight correction - a neighbour told us BT were around and wanted to gain access to the property.  He apparently told them we had a fault within the property.  It's a bit odd and doesn't quite add up as he managed to fix it while we were out and had no idea about this visit! 

Expert
plainview

Could be a HR DIS or a Rectified Loop Fault?

Guru
Devon_Dave

fungalpis wrote:
 BT OPENREACH line.

No such company

(If I have helped you in any way to say "Thank You" please click on the star next to the message. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.