El
Beginner
El

No dial tone

My mum has phoned me on her mobile to say she has no dial tone on her home phone. She lives 30 miles away so can't just jump in car and fix it. Have checked line for fault online and says there isn't one.

Have got her to check her phone is charged up and she has tried both her home phones in the connection box but still no joy.

She is an elderly pensioner and really need her phone but not wanting to pay the costs of getting an engineer. Is there anything else i can suggest to her.

She has bt affinity as well as broadband and they all seem fine.

Sage
john46

Re: No dial tone

I have moved this post to the phones board as it is more appropriate
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Sage
john46

[ Edited ]

hi I would suggest you phone BT faults on 151 and report no dial tone there should be no charge if the fault is not on any of the phones in the house infinity operates differently and is not affected by a phone

fault

Test Socket.jpg

If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Expert
plainview

Has she tried an known working phone into the NTE5 test socket, you said she has Infinity, if she does she will have an NTE5.

NTE5 Test.png

If it doesn't work into there then it will be a fault on the network and you will need an engineer out.

El
Beginner
El

HELP!!

Have tried everything suggested and the box is not the same as the one shown but we have taken it off the wall to check. 

Phoned the 151 automated thing on my mobile so thats gonna cost and basically it just checked line to tell us again there was no problem with line!!!!

What can we do without getting charged

Sage
Keith_Beddoe

If you have tried two phones, then its likely to be an external fault.

You can report it here https://www.bt.com/consumerFaultTracking/public/faults/tracking.do?pageId=2&s_cid=con_FURL_faults

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

Expert
plainview

To be honest I wouldn't pay to much attention to the automated line test system as it can only pick up hard faults like a disconnection in the network.

Ring BT faults and ask for an engineer visit from Openreach to come and sort the problem because all the goodwill of people on this forum ain't gonna fix it.

bfg
Aspiring Expert
bfg

Hi El,

As Plainview suggests, it might be time to speak to someone at the BT faults helpdesks, try ringing 0330 1234 151 from your mobile (its a low cost version of the 0800800151 number for mobiles) or 151 from a BT line, 0800 800 151 from another service providers line, as its free.

BT will charge for 3 reasons:

1 - Damage has occured to the BT network in the property (cut cables, smashed sockets etc).

2 - Your (or your moms) equipment causing the fault (old phones, double adaptors etc)

3 - Nothing wrong with the line.

If you have unplugged ALL equipment from the line (including any alarm system working on the BT line, sky box, etc) and tried, either, a phone that definatly works or two seperate phones (two handsets from the same bases tation are technically one phone) you should be ok.

the socket shown allopws you to remove the extensions (and wiring) from the line as they are connected through the face plate part, so if you did have this socket you can elimibnate any internal wiring faults, but if you dont have that type, you need to make sure you try yopur working phone on its own in to teh main socket (try them all if your not sure which is the main one, or if only one sockets its easy;-) )

You can also log the fault through BT.com.

hope you get it sorted.

Guru
Devon_Dave

Hi

Are you certain that you do not have the line box as shown by John? it is just that if you have BT Infinity you should have one somewhere.

(If I have helped you in any way to say "Thank You" please click on the star next to the message. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
Expert
plainview

Devon_dave is right, if your old lady has BT Infinity she will have an NTE5a with a Service Specific Back Plate, it will look like this;

Infinity NTE.jpg

If she doesn't have one of those then she won't have BT Infinity or any FTTC product installed by Openreach.